3. Tighthead Prop of the Year 2016

• Please nominate for Tightest Head of the year.

Rules in main forum.

All arguments for and against encouraged and in fact required during nomination phase.

Surname First Name Country Pros Cons
    FRANKS Owen NZL Nominated by Paul Cully in SMH; there or thereabouts "bold" selection; "mistake"; there or thereabouts without being outstanding
    NEL WP SCO appears to scrummage well and be involved across the park
    FURLONG Tadhg IRE perdect dimesions for THP; doing it well; handy around park; best newcomer prop; MotM more than once - notable for THP; big run against ABs still learning trade

• That Irish bloke looks bloody good - Tadhg Furlong? Near-perfect dimensions for brick shithouse. Still learning his trade but doing it well, and handy around the park.

• Tadgh Furlong. Best newcomer TH prop of the year. Man of the match gongs in a few games. Not easy for a prop wearing 3.

Also, his sit-down threesome of Franks, Read and Retallick was quite tasty.

• @Pot-Hale said in 3. Tighthead Prop of the Year 2016:

Tadgh Furlong. Best newcomer TH prop of the year. Man of the match gongs in a few games. Not easy for a prop wearing 3.

Agree. A Lion for sure and a Lions legend in the making.

Hyperbole in overload but I think this guy has what it takes

• @Catogrande said in 3. Tighthead Prop of the Year 2016:

@Pot-Hale said in 3. Tighthead Prop of the Year 2016:

Tadgh Furlong. Best newcomer TH prop of the year. Man of the match gongs in a few games. Not easy for a prop wearing 3.

County Wexford next door to O'Brien's home county of Carlow. The IRFU needs to start-looking at the south-east a bit more, it's turning out some gems in a non-traditional rugby region.

@Catogrande said in 3. Tighthead Prop of the Year 2016:

County Wexford next door to O'Brien's home county of Carlow. The IRFU needs to start-looking at the south-east a bit more, it's turning out some gems in a non-traditional rugby region.

@Pot-Hale I picked up WP Nel from the "World XV" thread. Is he worth a nomination as well as Furlong? Who is better? Or are we AB fans now in awe of you Irish that we'll nominate you all (you MUST be good ... you beat us 🙂 )

I'd like opinions from any other Oirish posters on the relative merits of the two players too please.

Ta

• @booboo said in 3. Tighthead Prop of the Year 2016:

@Pot-Hale I picked up WP Nel from the "World XV" thread. Is he worth a nomination as well as Furlong? Who is better? Or are we AB fans now in awe of you Irish that we'll nominate you all (you MUST be good ... you beat us 🙂 )

I'd like opinions from any other Oirish posters on the relative merits of the two players too please.

Ta

WP Nel plays for Scotland. He's been very good this year and is a potential Lions pick.

@booboo said in 3. Tighthead Prop of the Year 2016:

Ta

WP Nel plays for Scotland. He's been very good this year and is a potential Lions pick.

Err .. oh yeah ...

Shows why I shouldn't vote in this thread 🙂

May have been getting muxed-ip wth all your other Saffa Project Players 🙂

Ta

Err .. oh yeah ...

Shows why I shouldn't vote in this thread 🙂

May have been getting muxed-ip wth all your other Saffa Project Players 🙂

I figured that would be the reply.

• @Pot-Hale well there'd be a reason for that ...

@Pot-Hale well there'd be a reason for that ...

Don't tell me, let me guess. all the Saffa project players that Ireland has capped over the last few decades and who were responsible singlehandedly for Ireland's victories since 1973...?

@Pot-Hale well there'd be a reason for that ...

Don't tell me, let me guess. all the Saffa project players that Ireland has capped over the last few decades and who were responsible singlehandedly for Ireland's victories since 1973...?

You've had victories? Can't think of one ..

• I can only think of one ...

• @MajorRage said in 3. Tighthead Prop of the Year 2016:

I can only think of one ...

Agreed - Ireland 43-13 England. 🙂

A grand day out in Croke Park. And Ireland even brought on a Kiwi to score the final try to cap it off.

(One-off exhibition matches against second-string NZ sides don't really count - apparently.) 😉

(One-off exhibition matches against second-string NZ sides don't really count - apparently.) 😉

Yep, they need to do away with these 'friendlies' they demean the real matches...