6. Blindside Flanker of the Year 2016

• Please nominate for Blindest Side of the year.

Rules in main forum.

All arguments for and against encouraged and in fact required during nomination phase.

Note ... due to some countries bucking convention and normality and numbering their openside 6 and blindside 7 (I looking at you South Africa ... that's why your results have gone to shit ... karma is a bitch huh?), and the fact that flankers are becoming somewhat more general in nature and tending to play both sides somewhat more interchangeably some correspondence will be entered into about whether a player can be accepted into polls for 6 and/or 7 (or even 8 if they have exceptionally good jazz hands.)

Surname First Name Country Pros Cons
    ROBSHAW Chris ENG Nominated by Paul Cully in SMH; Huge work rate unlikely to have a real stand out performance
    KAINO Jerome NZL IN World XV thread - No reason given; "beast mode" through SH season Perception of a quiet year - but perhaps this was due to quite EOYT and lock in ChiTown
    STANDER CJ IRE impressed with his efforts (the entire Irish backrow)

• Stander by a mile.

• Of the three nominations, Kaino has had a quiet year (by his standards). Robshaw has been integral to England's renaissance, he has a phenomenal engine with a high work rate over the full 80+ minutes. But does he make a stand out difference in a match like Stander has done for Ireland? I'd say no and Stander takes it for me. I quite liked the work Fardy was doing for Aus but he seems to have fallen by the wayside.

• @Catogrande said in 6. Blindside Flanker of the Year 2016:

Of the three nominations, Kaino has had a quiet year (by his standards). Robshaw has been integral to England's renaissance, he has a phenomenal engine with a high work rate over the full 80+ minutes. But does he make a stand out difference in a match like Stander has done for Ireland? I'd say no and Stander takes it for me. I quite liked the work Fardy was doing for Aus but he seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Not really, he had a quiet end of the year (stupid lock experiment contributing to this) but he went near beast mode through much of the SH test season.

• @Nepia said in 6. Blindside Flanker of the Year 2016:

@Catogrande said in 6. Blindside Flanker of the Year 2016:

Of the three nominations, Kaino has had a quiet year (by his standards). Robshaw has been integral to England's renaissance, he has a phenomenal engine with a high work rate over the full 80+ minutes. But does he make a stand out difference in a match like Stander has done for Ireland? I'd say no and Stander takes it for me. I quite liked the work Fardy was doing for Aus but he seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Not really, he had a quiet end of the year (stupid lock experiment contributing to this) but he went near beast mode through much of the SH test season.

alt text