14. Right Winger of the Year 2016

• This was going to be renamed the Donal J Drumpf award but I'm not convinced he's that right wing. So it shall remain the Michelle Bachmann Award.

Nominate here.

Rules in main forum.

All arguments for and against encouraged and in fact required during nomination phase.

Surname First Name Country Pros Cons
    DAGG Israel NZL Nominated by Paul Cully in SMH
    HAYLETT-PETTY Dayne AUS breakout rookie year; scored tries; stepped; big; tackles hard conceded penalty that prevented try

• Yeah ok.

Though the English bloke ain't bad either. But can't think of his name right now. But him anyway.

• Dayne Heylett-Petty. Had a breakout rookie year, scoring some tries and stepping blokes. Big, tackles hard, can take out a Bus in a foot race.

• I beat BSG! Bloody stoked to be honest , it's been a long year in a lot of ways . I thought Key retiring might have hurt my chances especially with Judith not assuming her rightful throne but there you go.

• @Pot-Hale Probably either Johnny May or Anthony Watson? Though I can never remember who plays left and right.

Of the two I'd have said Watson is the better bet for a nomination. Good speed (whilst not being quite as fast as May), good acceleration and footwork and knows where the try line is. Of the England wingers, he's the one that has really put his hand up.

Zebo is also worth a mention. I'm not totally convinced about his all round game but he has that X factor that can turn a match. Great to watch too.

• @jegga said in 14. Right Winger of the Year 2016:

I beat BSG! Bloody stoked to be honest , it's been a long year in a lot of ways . I thought Key retiring might have hurt my chances especially with Judith not assuming her rightful throne but there you go.

This is only nomination stage @jegga
    I assumed BSG was a standing nominee

• @Catogrande said in 14. Right Winger of the Year 2016:

@Pot-Hale Probably either Johnny May or Anthony Watson? Though I can never remember who plays left and right.

Of the two I'd have said Watson is the better bet for a nomination. Good speed (whilst not being quite as fast as May), good acceleration and footwork and knows where the try line is. Of the England wingers, he's the one that has really put his hand up.

Zebo is also worth a mention. I'm not totally convinced about his all round game but he has that X factor that can turn a match. Great to watch too.

Johnny May was the guy I was thinking of. But you're right about Watson. Haven't seen enough of them at club level to make any further call.

I've put Zebo into left wing. Although he has played FB too this year.

• Isn't May a leftard?

Dagg is a worthy nominee.

• @Crucial They're all the same to me really mate. They're backs after all.

@Crucial They're all the same to me really mate. They're backs after all.

Yeah. It's just like those fat guys that lean against each other to keep warm. i never know why they get so obsessed about what their jersey says on the back. I guess it's because they rarely trouble the statisticians so have to have some numbers to ponder over.

• @Crucial said in 14. Right Winger of the Year 2016:

@Catogrande said in 14. Right Winger of the Year 2016:

Yeah. It's just like those fat guys that lean against each other to keep warm. i never know why they get so obsessed about what their jersey says on the back. I guess it's because they rarely trouble the statisticians so have to have some numbers to ponder over.

Ah yeah. You're talking about those guys with incredible aerobic fitness that actually get bored playing rugby at such high pace that they sometimes give the ball out so the lesser mortals can drop it and we can have a scrum just to make a change.

Gotcha.

@Crucial said in 14. Right Winger of the Year 2016:

@Catogrande said in 14. Right Winger of the Year 2016:

Ah yeah. You're talking about those guys with incredible aerobic fitness that actually get bored playing rugby at such high pace that they sometimes give the ball out so the lesser mortals can drop it and we can have a scrum just to make a change.

Gotcha.

Nope. Can't think of anyone that fits that description.

• @Crucial I don't suppose you realise how the numbering on rugby shirts evolved?

Basically the forwards were numbered according to their importance to the team. The backs, having no particular importance were numbered according to the average IQ of the person in that position.

This factoring still holds good to this day.

@Crucial I don't suppose you realise how the numbering on rugby shirts evolved?

Basically the forwards were numbered according to their importance to the team. The backs, having no particular importance were numbered according to the average IQ of the person in that position.

This factoring still holds good to this day.

Now you have me confused because I assume you learned this fable sitting at the feet of a punch drunk old prop in the UK and the traditional numbering system there was to have the forwards wearing jerseys 8-15.
    That makes the tighthead prop the 10th most important person in the team.

PS: I do chuckle how some press over here still insist on listing a team from 15-9 then 1-8 in modern numbering.

• @Crucial Do you mind. That punch drunk old prop may well have been me, except that I never played prop of course. To be honest the numbering system was always something of a lottery at my club. It was more of a dash to find the cleanest, driest shirt. The numbers were irrelevant.

@Crucial Do you mind. That punch drunk old prop may well have been me, except that I never played prop of course. To be honest the numbering system was always something of a lottery at my club. It was more of a dash to find the cleanest, driest shirt. The numbers were irrelevant.

So your importance to the team on the day and/or your IQ level was random depending on how long it took to park the car?

• @Crucial My importance to the team and indeed my IQ were sadly never in question.

• What do you those girls that hang around with rugby players?

• @booboo said in 14. Right Winger of the Year 2016:

What do you those girls that hang around with rugby players?

Backs