16. Coach 2016 - POLL

• Surname First Name Country Pros Cons
    HANSEN Steve NZL record speaks for itself; had his challenges; normal transmission despite losing near enough 1000 caps last year; "business as usual" Chicago hiccup; "business as usual"
    JONES Eddie Eng 100% record; started with a rabble "smug little prick"
    SCHMIDT Joeseph IRE First Irish win over ABs; Away win in SA; Trifecta over 3N 5 losses; one good win does not a coach of the year make; poorish 6N; loss to SA

• It's probably not worth pointing out that Schmidt also got first away win in SA, as well as the trifecta of SANZAR in the one year. But I will anyway...

• @Pot-Hale
    That I can add

• @booboo said in 16. Coach 2016 - POLL:

@Pot-Hale
    That I can add

And I'd argue that under your cons, that he got more than "one good win". Beating SA in first test in SA with 14/13 men is pretty damn good with a tour squad missing Sexton, O'Brien, O'Mahony, Zebo and R Kearney no matter that SA went on a big slide from there for the rest of the year. Yep - they lost a series that they arguably could have won, but for all the losses, Schmidt has built a real depth in the Ireland squad that I haven't seen better in 25-30 years. Tadgh Furlong, Ultan Dillane, Joey Carbery, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander or Finlay Bealham all made names for themselves this year in my reckoning under his tutelage.

• @Pot-Hale said in 16. Coach 2016 - POLL:

@booboo said in 16. Coach 2016 - POLL:

@Pot-Hale
    That I can add

And I'd argue that under your cons, that he got more than "one good win". Beating SA in first test in SA with 14/13 men is pretty damn good with a tour squad missing Sexton, O'Brien, O'Mahony, Zebo and R Kearney no matter that SA went on a big slide from there for the rest of the year. Yep - they lost a series that they arguably could have won, but for all the losses, Schmidt has built a real depth in the Ireland squad that I haven't seen better in 25-30 years. Tadgh Furlong, Ultan Dillane, Joey Carbery, Josh van der Flier, CJ Stander or Finlay Bealham all made names for themselves this year in my reckoning under his tutelage.

That was (I think) quoting someone ...

@Pot-Hale said in 16. Coach 2016 - POLL:

@Pot-Hale
    That I can add

Probably some no name SH journalist who couldn't be arsed to look up anything about NH teams or their players. He probably thinks that O'Driscoll and O'Connell are still playing for Ireland, or thinks he's really up to speed by knowing that they just retired.

I'll let you off though.

@Pot-Hale
    That I can add

Probably some no name SH journalist who couldn't be arsed to look up anything about NH teams or their players. He probably thinks that O'Driscoll and O'Connell are still playing for Ireland, or thinks he's really up to speed by knowing that they just retired.

I'll let you off though.

@Pot-Hale quoting someone on the original thread i mean. Doesn't matter if they're right or otherwise. Perception. That's why we have time for debate PRIOR to opening votes. So perception can ve corrected.

@Pot-Hale
    That I can add

I'll let you off though.

@Pot-Hale quoting someone on the original thread i mean. Doesn't matter if they're right or otherwise. Perception. That's why we have time for debate PRIOR to opening votes. So perception can ve corrected.

Yep - the quote was from the summary you provided on the original thread that you said you'd got from other World XV lineups. Besides which there was fuck all debate anyway so I'm starting one now.

Well I suspect that you were quoting me about Eddie - the smug little prick.

@Pot-Hale
    That I can add

I'll let you off though.

what, you mean BOD wasnt part of the team that won in Chicago? That must've almost killed him!

• @Pot-Hale on review of the thread I can't see where I was quoting anybody.

I expect it was a comment directly from the judging panel. Which pretty much stems from the fact that Joe Schmidt is a flufflybunny and always will be as far as I am concerned. Fuck him. Never liked him from scouts and school days.

Also tell me what was wrong with the comment "one good win"? Who else did he beat of any quality? ...

@Pot-Hale on review of the thread I can't see where I was quoting anybody.

I expect it was a comment directly from the judging panel. Which pretty much stems from the fact that Joe Schmidt is a flufflybunny and always will be as far as I am concerned. Fuck him. Never liked him from scouts and school days.

Also tell me what was wrong with the comment "one good win"? Who else did he beat of any quality? ...

Well they beat Scotland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand as well. But if you want to be a begrudging moanfart, why not just say so? Tsk tsk.