Highlanders v Rebels

• alt text

Unavailable due to injury: Liam Squire, Shane Christie, Ash Dixon, Dan Pryor, Lima Sopoaga, Waisake Naholo, Adrian Smith, James Lentjes (out for the season: Jason Emery, Hayden Parker).

http://thehighlanders.co.nz/our-news/latest-news

• Who said Li had been dropped ... Faddes is on the bench.

• After last week's announcement, when questioned on radio Brown said Li was rested after being his best performing winger and playing such big minutes. I didn't mention it at the time because I didn't think any other wingers had enough game time for that to be a compliment.

• I'm surprised no one made a comment about Lima Sopoaga's brother making his Super Rugby debut off the bench. Has anyone ever seen him play rugby union? He's only been with the squad for - I think - a couple of weeks.

• Melbourne Rebels extended team for Round 6 v Highlanders:

1. Fereti Sa’aga
    2. James Hanson
    3. Laurie Weeks
    4. Culum Retallick
    5. Steve Cummins
    6. Jordy Reid
    7. Colby Fainga’a
    8. Amanaki Mafi
    9. Nic Stirzaker (Captain)
    10. Jackson Garden-Bachop
    11. Marika Koroibete
    12. Reece Hodge
    13. Mitch Inman
    14. Tom English
    15. Jack Debreczeni

Extended Reserves (two to be omitted)
    Siliva Siliva
    Tom Moloney
    Tyrel Lomax
    Dominic Day
    Lopeti Timani
    Jake Schatz
    Esei Haangana^*
    Mick Snowden
    Sione Tuipulotu
    Ben Volavola

^Super Rugby debut
    *Rebels debut

https://melbournerebels.com/2017/03/29/rebels-name-extended-squad-for-highlanders/

• @Stargazer said in Highlanders v Rebels:

I'm surprised no one made a comment about Lima Sopoaga's brother making his Super Rugby debut off the bench. Has anyone ever seen him play rugby union? He's only been with the squad for - I think - a couple of weeks.

Unless you were in a back paddock in Woodlands, you probably wouldn't have seen him play. I think he has only turned out for a pre-season Southland club run.
    I guess the Landers have had him earmarked for next year anyway so have really just brought him in early and he has been good enough at practice.

• @Crucial He also played in the NRC for the Western Sydney Rams last year I believe.

• @Unite said in Highlanders v Rebels:

@Crucial He also played in the NRC for the Western Sydney Rams last year I believe.

But no one watches that at all (except @NTA when he can get in for free or can see the game while up on his roof playing with his solar panels)

• Is Cheika coaching the rebels?

• Highlanders should win but I think it will be closer than many are predicting. Rebels have played ok last 2 games.

• Great try Fekitoa after even greater work from Buckman!

• Highlanders score following a scrum against the head. Fekitoa in from Buckman offload

• @Stockcar86 That was a sweet offload off the deck from the Barracuda

• Franklin with the worlds biggest spin dummy for a try to Whitelock

• Hmmm. Hiding on the cards perhaps?

• Too much attacking kicking. Just hold the ball you fools.

• Man Fekitoa is frustrating to watch. So good on defence but a bumbling mess on attack. Having said that he did well to score that try. It looks like he is almost over thinking it in attack. Stutter step left stutter step right. Then left again and drops the ball.

Li looking decent again tonight.

Dare i say it but i don't think Luke Whitelick would look out of place in the ABs now.
    Would pick him before Elliot Dixon and with Luatua leaving and Shields having tits for hands, Whitelock might be a shot to compete with Squire for the back up 6/8 role.

• Whitelock playing well enough to keep Squire out of the starting side when he returns from injury. Maybe Hansen was right when he saw something in him a couple of years ago

• C'mon Highlanders - less side to sidey and more up the gutsy

• Bucky!

• 30-5. Game over

• Whitelock L looks the goods tonight has got through a power of work

• Bonus point try from Evans who just pinned his ears back and powered his way to the line. Should have done that sooner, Landers.

• Try time for another Bay boy; Evans dots down!

• For a team that needs to score about 4 tries to win the Rebels are doing a lot of aimless kicking. What is the point of this team? Cut them and move the Brumbies to Melbourne.

• Icing on the cake for Landers great intercept try from Fekitoa makes the bonus point safe for the Landers.
    Although agree with previous post above, Fekitoa is a frustrating player to watch, loses the ball too often in contact for mine.

• @pukunui Or merge the Brumbies & Rebels. Keep the best players of both teams.

• @pukunui Why alienate both sets of fans? Melbourne doesn't need a team.

• Finished off nicely by Pleasants-Tate - always love to see one for the fatties!

• @Damo said in Highlanders v Rebels:

@pukunui Why alienate both sets of fans? Melbourne doesn't need a team

To satisfy the apparent need to grow the game in new markets bla bla bla.
    That really is the only reason the rebels exist. Not to represent some untapped player pool in victoria. Brumbies have history and are competative but it appears their organisation is a mess. So yeah a merger but under the Brumbies banner while sorting out the managent of the Brumbies franchise.

The Force at least offer a geographical benefit being a stepping stone from SA back to the eastern states and NZ.

• The Rebels were so bad. The Highlanders were disappointing and made a bucket load of mistakes themselves and yet were able to destroy them.

• @akan004 said in Highlanders v Rebels:

The Rebels were so bad. The Highlanders were disappointing and made a bucket load of mistakes themselves and yet were able to destroy them.

Remember this is the Rebels that got creamed by the Blues and had the Chiefs play them while asleep for 70 minutes yet still get a BP win.

• @Crash said in Highlanders v Rebels:

Icing on the cake for Landers great intercept try from Fekitoa makes the bonus point safe for the Landers.
    Although agree with previous post above, Fekitoa is a frustrating player to watch, loses the ball too often in contact for mine.

He did it once tonight? Other than that offload, he was excellent.

• @Damo said in Highlanders v Rebels:

@pukunui Why alienate both sets of fans? Melbourne doesn't need a team.

You could re-home the team at Albury-Wodonga while at it.

Seriously though, the Rebels is a failure playing wise because the stocks don't spread that thin. Surely it is better for Oz rugby to get the better players grouped together more so there is competition for places and better training and development. Half the problem as to why the playing levels have dropped is because the squads have no depth. This not only impacts the playing teams but impacts the quality of training as well. If you have no one pushing you for your place in the team you only have to hold your level. No incentive to improve.

I don't see how merging the Brumbies and Rebels is that silly an idea. Keep the base in Canberra as the facilities are better but do a bit of promotion and a game or two in Melbourne to keep a presence. It's not as if Canberra Stadium is packed every game anyway.

• Nothing like playing an Aussie side to get back into form.....

• You'd think by the time the Rebels played a Kiwi team for the fourth time they might figure out that not contesting a majority of breakdowns in defence and aimless kicking in attack may not be a great strategy. What's that definition of insanity again?

• Great to see the Rebels making a solid case to remain in super rugby.

The squealing across the ditch about 5 teams is pathetic when you see yet another towelling.

• 😉

Home coach Tony Brown — who had also wound up the “un-Australian” Brumbies a week earlier — then twisted the knife with some brutal press conference honesty.

“It was good to score those tries and put away one of the weakest teams in the competition,” said Brown, the former All Blacks five-eighth.