Hydroxycut

• Has anyone tried this stuff? A flatmate of mine swears by it and uses cycles of it every so often to drop body weight. Apparently it speeds up metabolism and aids weight loss. Sounds a little like diet pills to me and I wonder what the side effects are. Apparently its pretty big in the bodybuilding circles?

• like most of these things pretty gimmicky. Used similar stuff when leaning down for competing recently. Don't think I would use it otherwise. Side effects - your wallet gets emptier!

• Did anyone catch that show on bodybuilders in auckland late last night ? I mention the wallet bit cos one of the competitors said she was spending over 4 hundy A WEEK on food and supplements. Holy shit, thats crazy !

• According to the scales at the petrol station today Im down to 106 kegs anyway. I would be scared if I took any supplements someone might start kicking sand in my face at the beach or even worse I could slip down the plughole!

• As a fitness enthusiast, I have to say I'm really not a big fan of all the bullshit supplements that con artists try to sell. My view on supplements (and most real doctors will back this up) is that 95% of them are completely useless.

A good daily multivitamin, fish oil, and glucosamine perhaps. Although as far as randomized controlled clinical trials are concerned, the efficacy of glucosamine has never been proven.

Too much of this shit will simply overload your kidneys.

• [quote]glucosamine [/quote]

My personal trial on this - it works - I don't take it, and withing days I am hobbling - rooted ankles and knees from rugby. Get back onto the glucosamine, and again, within days, able to function as a human being again!

No doubt though, different people will have different results, but I would be a tick in the 'works bllody well column'

glucosamine is the only supplement that I take.

• Different supplements have different effects on different people though. I remember reading that both Marc Ellis and Anton Oliver are "immune" to creatine. Having taken it a few times myself I suspect I might be as well and haven't really justified getting any more of that "fake muscle shit" ( my wifes words )

Anton Oliver obviously has some pretty farkin decent muscle building genes though.

• creatine you just piss out what you dont use, and you should be getting enough in the meat that you eat anyway - a great con I reckon on that one!

• Is protein powder considered a bullshit supplement?

• [quote name='Milk']Is protein powder considered a bullshit supplement?[/quote]

I wouldn't say so but it definitely helps if you also knock back a few steaks, eggs and chicken breasts.

• [quote name='BartMan']creatine you just piss out what you dont use, and you should be getting enough in the meat that you eat anyway - a great con I reckon on that one![/quote]
    I've done two cycles of creatine, one did nothing and the other gave me some large gains (no major changes to my workout or intensity)

The only difference I could tell were

For the cycle that didn't do anything - the creatine was relatively cheap and I still drank a small insignificant amount of alcohol

For the cycle that did work - the creatine was considerably more expensive and my alcohol in take was nil for the duration

• [quote name='Duluth'][quote name='BartMan']creatine you just piss out what you dont use, and you should be getting enough in the meat that you eat anyway - a great con I reckon on that one![/quote]
    I've done two cycles of creatine, one did nothing and the other gave me some large gains (no major changes to my workout or intensity)

The only difference I could tell were

For the cycle that didn't do anything - the creatine was relatively cheap and I still drank a small insignificant amount of alcohol

For the cycle that did work - the creatine was considerably more expensive and my alcohol in take was nil for the duration[/quote]

A ha ! That may have been my problem then. While not drinking the ridiculous amounts I had done in my youth I still enjoyed the odd wine or beer while creatining. Obviously a few more in the weekend. I may give it another go next year ( afterall not fucken likely at the moment with Xmas nearly upon us )

• depends on the protein powder I assume - and like Duluth mentioned - the more you pay, the better the product, harsh but fair.

WE use Isomax protin powder - zero carbs, and it seems to do the trick. That, and chicken breasts, fish and lean steak. No eggs at the moment, thank fuck!

• I notice the EAS Powder has been taken off the market here. I wonder what that had in it.

I'd probably get into protein powder again. It worked well as a snack between meals.

• [quote name='BartMan']depends on the protein powder I assume - and like Duluth mentioned - the more you pay, the better the product, harsh but fair.

WE use Isomax protin powder - zero carbs, and it seems to do the trick. That, and chicken breasts, fish and lean steak. No eggs at the moment, thank fuck![/quote]

Potentially stupid question but why no eggs Bart ? too much cholesterol ? A couple cracked into a protein skake always make it a bit more proteiny.

• nah, not because of the that - no idea why, just currently not in my diet plan. Last month or so I am eating 24 whites a day, and it smells like it too...

• [quote name='MN5']Different supplements have different effects on different people though. I remember reading that both Marc Ellis and Anton Oliver are "immune" to creatine. Having taken it a few times myself I suspect I might be as well and haven't really justified getting any more of that "fake muscle shit" ( my wifes words )

Anton Oliver obviously has some pretty farkin decent muscle building genes though.[/QUOTE]

I think what Anton struggled with was the water retention from creatine. It bloated him up and made him sluggish.

• nothing worse than water retentiong - from 78kg to 92kg in four days was me post the national BB champs in 09. Not a great feeling that is for sure, feels like 100g of sausage meat stuffed into a 50g casing, and looks like it too....