Crusaders v Stormers

• Crusaders
    1 Wyatt Crockett, 2 Codie Taylor, 3 Michael Alaalatoa, 4 Scott Barrett, 5 Sam Whitelock (c), 6 Pete Samu, 7 Billy Harmon, 8 Jordan Taufua
    9 Bryn Hall, 10 Richie Mo'unga, 11 George Bridge, 12 Ryan Crotty, 13 Jack Goodhue, 14 Seta Tamanivalu, 15 David Havili

Reserves:
    16 Andrew Makalio, 17 Chris King, 18 Oliver Jager, 19 Luke Romano, 20 Heiden Bedwell-Curtis, 21 Mitch Drummond, 22 Mitch Hunt, 23 Manasa Mataele

• I would hope that Dunshea and Blackadder are given at least some game time this year to showcase their talents. Those two could potentially make it to the highest level. Perhaps being in the Crusaders with their huge depth in the forwards may not be the best thing for these guys, they would make the 23 in most other NZ teams atm.

• Sanders got limited opportunities at the Chiefs and it looks like he'll be a bit-part player at the Crusaders too.

• @bovidae IIRC, he's out for a while with a serious injury.

• Stormers
    15 SP Marais, 14 Seabelo Senatla, 13 EW Viljoen, 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Dillyn Leyds, 9 Dewaldt Duvenage, 8 Nizaam Carr, 7 Cobus Wiese, 6 Siya Kolisi (captain), 5 Pieter-Steph du Toit, 4 JD Schickerling, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Ramone Samuels, 1 JC Janse van Resnburg.

Replacements: 16 Dean Muir, 17 Steven Kitshoff, 18 Carlu Sadie, 19 Jan de Klerk, 20 Sikhumbuzo Notshe, 21 Kobus van Dyk, 22 Justin Phillips, 23 George Whitehead.

• @bovidae said in Crusaders v Stormers:

Sanders got limited opportunities at the Chiefs and it looks like he'll be a bit-part player at the Crusaders too.

Bad ankle injury is what I recall. Out for about 4 months.

• I'm inclined to think Mitchell Dunshea must be on the injured list as well.

Like Will Jordan, I've seen no news on this, but he's been missing from a number of selections that you'd otherwise have expected him to be in.

Good opportunity for Billy Harmon, who probably wouldn't have made the squad if Jed Brown wasn't out for the season.

Haven't seen the Crusaders making much of their injury list, but it's probably as severe as any given the number of (starting) ABs that are on it - Moody, Franks, Read, Dagg, Perry, Todd, Sanders - Dunshea (?), Jordan (?), (?), (?).....( Brown, Enari)

• So how did people tip? Crusaders win, but by how much?

• @stargazer 16 I think...

But I am 0/3 this weekend! 😞

• Goodhue is exceptional. When you compare his game so far today vs Moala for example there is daylight.

• This is much better viewing than the cricket.

• This is eerily similar to when Stormers got destroyed last year in Christchurch.

• Well at least I'll get the highest scoring team tip this week.

• The Crusaders go alright.

They operate at several levels higher than what I witnessed last night.

• Mo'unga has been awesome. Try assist, some big hits (taking out a Stormers forward), try-saving tackle, great ball distribution. I can definitely see him in that black 22 jersey.

• Mounga might be cited for that hit under these laws.

• if that deserves more than a penalty, then the hightackle that wasnt released earlier warrants more attanetion

• Stormers getting away with hitting rucks from all angles and also going off their feet a hell of a lot.

• Brilliant try Stormers.

Crusaders havent woken up this half.

• Crusaders have done 5 fifths of fuck all in the 15 minutes of this half.

• They’re playing too much footy
    In their own half.
    Did Mounga have his right foot amputated at half time?

• @gunner yeah not sure what he was up to in those movements...

• Mounga parts the Stormers to run in a nice try

• interesting that a deliberate knock back is seen different to a failed intercept knock forward, in that case was no way he was going to get the ball and was only slapping back to stop the pass.

• Fuck, I'm reading that Mo'unga may have a broken jaw. How long does that take to heal?

• Score ?

• @cgrant said in Crusaders v Stormers:

Score ?

45-28 to the Crusaders.

• @stargazer said in Crusaders v Stormers:

Fuck, I'm reading that Mo'unga may have a broken jaw. How long does that take to heal?

6 weeks.

• @taniwharugby said in Crusaders v Stormers:

interesting that a deliberate knock back is seen different to a failed intercept knock forward, in that case was no way he was going to get the ball and was only slapping back to stop the pass.

Why is it interesting? Knocking the ball backwards is perfectly legal.

• @damo I realize it is legal, just stating how I saw that play, the action was deliberate knock, we see some genuine intercepts penalized yet he was never going to get the ball, just slapped at it, IMO is just as bad as the other way.

• @taniwharugby said in Crusaders v Stormers:

@damo the action was deliberate knock, we see some genuine intercepts penalized yet he was never going to get the ball, IMO is just as bad as the other way.

Yes but it was a deliberate knock backwards, which is totally fine and within both the laws and spirit of the game. Playing the ball backwards is an integral part of rugby.

Might seem wrong, but it shouldn't.

• This post is deleted!

• Saders were a big lucky to get the bonus point. They really let that game slip in the second half.

Scrum was a worry as was their ability to turn the ball over under these new laws.

• @damo said in Crusaders v Stormers:

Saders were a big lucky to get the bonus point. They really let that game slip in the second half.

Scrum was a worry as was their ability to turn the ball over under these new laws.

Not surprised the second half didn't go that well; Ryan Crotty (calf muscle), Jordan Taufua (head/face) and Pete Samu (shoulder) were all subbed during the break due to injury. They had to shift Tamanivalu to centre, Barrett to 6 and introduce Mataele, Bedwell-Curtiss and Romano early.

Because of the Crusaders' depth, it's easy to forget how many first choice players they were already missing, but it's bound to affect their play. Moody, Franks, Todd, Read, in particular, were sorely missed.

I also think it was a great effort to stop the Stormers from scoring at the end of the game; they played the last 5 minutes with 14 players after Mo'unga went off, because they'd ran out of subs. And then in the final minute, Harmon got a yellow.

• @damo Yep as soon if you couldn't knock a ball backwards there would be a lot of lineout forward penalised wouldn't there.

• @stargazer said in Crusaders v Stormers:

Because of the Crusaders' depth, it's easy to forget how many first choice players they were already missing, but it's bound to affect their play. Moody, Franks, Todd, Read, in particular, were sorely missed.

We must have been fielding a front row of King, Makalio and Jager towards the end. Stood up better than I expected.

Mid-April and the return of Moody, Franks and Read is a long way off - we'll be drilling into the bottom of the barrell if we lose any more props. Hopefully Tim Perry isn't far away.

Aren't the All Blacks in the squad supposed to be playing capped minutes in the first three rounds? Sam Whitelock must be pushing his quota!

• @chris-b said in Crusaders v Stormers:

@stargazer said in Crusaders v Stormers:

Aren't the All Blacks in the squad supposed to be playing capped minutes in the first three rounds? Sam Whitelock must be pushing his quota!

I don't think so. As I understand it, they just have to sit out two games and the SR coaches decide when that happens.

• @stargazer Yeah - I've googled trying to find what I'd read - probably something I misinterpreted since it's not appearing rapidly.

• With all the injuries to the ABs most will have already taken their 2 game break, which sort of defeats the purpose of them. I'm sure the Chiefs will use Friday night as one of BBBR's breaks.

• @chris-b said in Crusaders v Stormers:

@stargazer said in Crusaders v Stormers:

We must have been fielding a front row of King, Makalio and Jager towards the end. Stood up better than I expected.

Mid-April and the return of Moody, Franks and Read is a long way off - we'll be drilling into the bottom of the barrell if we lose any more props. Hopefully Tim Perry isn't far away.

Makalia had a great Mitre 10 Cup. He is a powerhouse in the loose. I don't know much about his scrummaging but his LO throwing is one thing to get fixed.