Tommy Robinson

• Banned

@JC said in Tommy Robinson:

@Rancid-Schnitzel said in Tommy Robinson:

@Crucial said in Tommy Robinson:

@Rancid-Schnitzel said in Tommy Robinson:

Is his sentence standard for that type of offence? @Siam mentioned some examples where only fines were issued. Does the punishment fit the crime so to speak?

Is it also standard to put people convicted of a crime like this into a maximum security facility? I'm not sure where he is, but iirc he was in one last time.

If you read the judgement you will see that it isn't as simple as that. He was on a suspended sentence for the same thing. That was his 'light' sentence given as a warning not to do it again. In the judge's eyes he failed to hold his end of that bargain then deliberately tried to skirt his way around the next court order and put a number of prosecutions in jeopardy. Time for a smack.
    I do agree that Judges tend to hold themselves and the court in ridiculously high esteem at times so anything that comes across as disrespecting themis dealt with harshly. But that applies to everyone.
    As for the prison. The suspicion is that he is at Belmarsh which is Max security. It is also where anyone convicted at the Old Bailey is taken to while the prison service allocates them a new home. If their conviction (or likely time spent) is short then it is easier to keep them there.
    There is also the possibility that if he has future court appearances to attend he will be kept in the most convenient place to transfer him back and forth. I guess he has the civil suit of libel from the 16 year old that he falsely accused of attacking schoolgirls on facebook in the wings.

Well it is pretty simple because there must be previous case law concerning this. So it doesn't answer my question.

Case law doesn’t apply to how a judge deals with contempt. Each case is decided on its merits and is at the sole discretion of the judge, who in charge of their own courtroom. In this case the appeal was only heard as the court itself and the prison service made errors of procedure which was due to the judge’s inexperience with contempt proceedings, because they are rare.

Same with the prison. Is it normal for people guilty of what Robinson did to be placed with the general population in a maximum security prison? Same applies to "convenience" as well.

The rules, are:

Rule 7 (3) of the Prison Rules 1999 provides: “Classification of prisoners
    7.(3) Prisoners committed or attached for contempt of court, or for failing to do or abstain from doing anything required to be done or left undone:
    Judgment Approved by the court for handing down.
    Yaxley-Lennon v R
    (a) shall be treated as a separate class for the purposes of this rule;
    (b) notwithstanding anything in this rule, may be permitted to associate with any other class of prisoners if they are willing to do so; and
    (c) shall have the same privileges as an unconvicted prisoner under rules 20(5), 23(1) and 35(1).”

He didn’t get those privileges in his first committal, (because the court mistakenly recorded a conviction rather than a contempt order) and he was legally entitled to them. The verdict around that said:

“Accordingly, the classification of the appellant as a convicted prisoner has had the effect of depriving him of privileges relating to: visits by his doctor or dentist, the freedom to choose what clothes to wear and the absence of restrictions on prison visits and the sending and receipt of letters.
    We have noted already that under section 258 Criminal Justice Act 2003 a person committed to prison for contempt is entitled to be released unconditionally after serving one half of the term for which he was committed. A convicted prisoner, in contrast, will be subject to release on licence with the attendant risk of recall.

Finally, in this regard, the judge imposed a victim surcharge which, pursuant to The Criminal Justice Act 2003 (Surcharge) (Amendment) Order 2016, is payable only in the event of the passing of a “sentence of imprisonment” and not upon a committal for contempt.”

That was why he was allowed to appeal.

Sure, but there is precedent for these types of things and any decision should be based on that. But again the question is whether this is standard for similar offences or whether TR had been harshly treated in this instance.

Could be the mistake the first time was a genuine mistake. How common are fuckups like this? Inexperience is a ridiculously piss poor excuse.

• @MajorRage said in Tommy Robinson:

Tommy Robinson is exactly where he deserves to be.

I don’t hate him. I don’t like him either. But I look at him objectively.

This thread is pointless, nobody ever moves, people just shout louder with their own blinkered opinions.

Time to set to ignore, something I should have done years ago.

@MajorRage
    wow... just wow.

Your posts show you are anything but objective about Robinson, the fact you see yourself as somehow objective is quite laughable and actually makes is illustrative of why you are one of the the best examples of those you describe as having a blinkered opinion.
    I am not neutral about Robinson and I have no doubt I am not that objective either, but the difference is I can see that, and you somehow see yourself as objective. Quite amazing lack of self awareness.
    This is one of the rare times I am genuinely stunned by someones post on TSF.

The reason I dont comment much in this thread anymore as frankly I am just not sure of my facts any longer. Seems like a complex case, and I havent got the time to sift the wheat from the chaf.... unlike you who has boldly declared he is where he deserves to be... just before stating that you are objective and that everyone else is blinkered.

• @Baron-Silas-Greenback

Usual load of garbage from you BSG.

The most blinkered poster on the forum.

@Baron-Silas-Greenback

Usual load of garbage from you BSG.

The most blinkered poster on the forum.

I am willing to admit I am blinkered, it is part of having an opinion, you bring in bias.
    However admitting you have a blinkered view can help combat it.
    You on the the hand remarkably dont think you are blinkered, just everyone who disagrees with you.

• @JC thank you. I fucken love your gentle injections of reason and sense here on the fern, you good old bugger!

You got an opinion on old mate's stoushes with the authorities?

If not, please feel free to suffice with a "dunno"

• @Crucial thanks mate. My view on this has certainly changed in the last 24 hours. A shift for sure. That's good.

But

I'm stuck with thinking the punishments don't fit the crimes and vitriol. It doesn't seem balanced. Proportional. But I can't wade through all the minutiae to know more than this low res view.

Wouldn't the trick be to let him speak? Hoist by his petard?

Give him the floor, and counter all of his claims as necessary. The man has been objectively denied many civil services by contemporary standards and all with misdemeanor charges.

I think he's been unduly done by.

Don't let him die in prison though, that might be pivotal if he did

• @Baron-Silas-Greenback I’ve stood outside the old Bailey during a TR trial. I work with somebody from Luton who used to be part of the EDL So please, get over yourself.

I’m very comfortable with my opinions and I find it odd that somebody seems to think I’m not objective. I started off hating him and then Centred my view, partly to do with this thread.

Crucial explained quite clearly why he’s where deserves to be.

Debate ended a long time ago on TR on TSF. Everybody is too entrenched.

@Baron-Silas-Greenback I’ve stood outside the old Bailey during a TR trial. I work with somebody from Luton who used to be part of the EDL So please, get over yourself.

I’m very comfortable with my opinions and I find it odd that somebody seems to think I’m not objective. I started off hating him and then Centred my view, partly to do with this thread.

Crucial explained quite clearly why he’s where deserves to be.

Debate ended a long time ago on TR on TSF. Everybody is too entrenched.

I thought you were leaving this thread? This should drive you away

alt text

• @jegga Hey mate, you’ve made a mistake. That lady in the picture you posted has all her buttons done up.

• @JC said in Tommy Robinson:

@jegga Hey mate, you’ve made a mistake. That lady in the picture you posted has all her buttons done up.

Do you really want to see a revealing photo of present day babs?

alt text

• @jegga said in Tommy Robinson:

@jegga Hey mate, you’ve made a mistake. That lady in the picture you posted has all her buttons done up.

Very much yes. Oh wait, babs? I thought you said baps.

TBF @jegga I didn’t think you were that choosy.

• Banned

@jegga said in Tommy Robinson:

alt text

Even when vomiting that chick is super hot. Who is she?

• Finally this thread has come round to a sensible discussion.

• I see Tommy is having a much better time in prison. He's now at Belmarsh prison in a section with 2 others (not sharing cells). One of the 2 is Julian Assange whom he has had conversations with as they are being held within shouting distance.
    Unlike last time he isn't being threatened by gangs and his food is being prepped in the medical centre so he is able to eat on this go-round. He's even got some access to a gym from time to time and also a tv in his cell.

Good news all round really, 53 days left on his sentence and coupling him getting out in a healthy condition with a new government who might have an interest in the concepts of democracy, free speech and the removal of Labour radicals and we might just see a real de-escalation of the Tommy movement.

• @Rembrandt a much better response to a UK citizen jailed for contempt. Good to see