Gender Pay Equality

• I hope that is specific enough for the thread.

The last couple of years has seen a growing movement of people publicly critcising the much vaunted 'Gender paygap' as being almost totally due to differences in roles that men and women choose as well as other variables which aren't necessarily sexism as the current mainstream narrative would have us believe.

I'm currently toying with the idea of kicking controversial discussions off in my workplace which currently openly discriminates in favour of women.

It's good to see increasing examples of companies starting to realise that the pendulum might really have swung too far.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/world/111044664/google-pay-equity-review-leads-to-raises-for-thousands-of-men

• @Rembrandt said in Gender Equality:

I hope that is specific enough for the thread.

The last couple of years has seen a growing movement of people publicly critcising the much vaunted 'Gender paygap' as being almost totally due to differences in roles that men and women choose as well as other variables which aren't necessarily sexism as the current mainstream narrative would have us believe.

I'm currently toying with the idea of kicking controversial discussions off in my workplace which currently openly discriminates in favour of women.

It's good to see increasing examples of companies starting to realise that the pendulum might really have swung too far.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/business/world/111044664/google-pay-equity-review-leads-to-raises-for-thousands-of-men

I'm feeling bad about being a straight white man. Can you pass on my apologies on behalf of myself and countless others?

• @MN5 said in Gender Equality:

@Rembrandt said in Gender Equality:

I'm feeling bad about being a straight white man. Can you pass on my apologies on behalf of myself and countless others?

Hang on. Aren’t you a ginga? Don’t try and invade my white privilege.

Ha! Predictive text changed ginga to fungal. Meh.

• @Catogrande said in Gender Equality:

@MN5 said in Gender Equality:

@Rembrandt said in Gender Equality:

Hang on. Aren’t you a ginga? Don’t try and invade my white privilege.

Ha! Predictive text changed ginga to fungal. Meh.

Only partial. Not full.

Not sure why that filthy Arab @Bones gave your post an upvote.....

• @Rembrandt that is hilarious in a sad kind of way. For an organisation that size you'd expect to see non-gender related variance in pay across similar roles. But that indication that discretionary budgets have contributed to higher female wages is very interesting!!

• My biggest gripes with the gender pay gap are:

1. people never quote the studies accurately. The studies generally only talk about aggregate. At the very least they could talk about what the studies actually show.
    2. there's some really interesting discussion to be had, particularly in the context of family and what constitutes a meaningful life for a man and a woman, and how we structure society to ensure people are free to choose what works best for them.

But it always gets derailed by ideologues that just bullshit and lie to push their nonsense ideology that they've become obsessed with.

• @No-Quarter said in Gender Pay Equality:

My biggest gripes with the gender pay gap are:

1. people never quote the studies accurately. The studies generally only talk about aggregate. At the very least they could talk about what the studies actually show.
    2. there's some really interesting discussion to be had, particularly in the context of family and what constitutes a meaningful life for a man and a woman, and how we structure society to ensure people are free to choose what works best for them.
    1. It is naked exploitation of a basic insecurity/complex that many people naturally have. A majority of people in salaried/wage positions feel they are underpaid relative to others. It is incredibly satisfying for people to know that this is due to a power outside their own control.

I honestly see no difference between someone saying "women are paid less due to the gender paygap" than someone saying "it's tough finding a well paying job because migrants are taking away all your jobs". Both are brazen and stupid arguments.

• I'm getting a little confused, I didn't think the gender pay gap had to do with the amount women and men are paid for the same job, but that on average men earned more than woman over the entire workforce. Likely due to men historically holding management jobs and females doing many of the caring, nursing roles etc.

It seems a little retarded an organisation like google would not have salary tied to the role, not to the gender?

The best places I have worked were where everyone knew what everyone was paid because the salary was attached to the role and tenure. However the opposite is when nobody knows what others are paid and some get paid way more for doing the same job, that can cause issues.