2020 Olympic Sevens (Tokyo)

• The 2020 Olympic Sevens in Tokyo take place from 27 - 29 July 2020 (men) and 31 July - 1 August 2020 (women).

Qualification tournaments are still taking place.

• Four Super Rugby players have been made available to prepare for the Olympic Sevens:

Caleb Clarke (Blues, Auckland), Etene Nanai-Seturo (Chiefs, Counties Manukau), Salesi Rayasi (Hurricanes, Auckland) and Scott Gregory (Highlanders, Northland) will shift into the 2019/2020 All Blacks Sevens campaign with their sights focussed on the Tokyo Olympic Games, New Zealand Rugby announced today.

With the support of their Investec Super Rugby clubs, the players have been given the green light to move into the Sevens programme, said New Zealand Rugby Head of High Performance Mike Anthony.

“We’re delighted that these players – who have all been in the All Blacks Sevens environment previously – have put up their hand, and want to have a crack at making the Olympic squad.

“We have worked very closely with all the Super Clubs to ensure we could support those players who were genuinely keen to be involved in the Tokyo Olympic Games. We also wanted to ensure that the Super Clubs were not significantly disadvantaged.

Clarke, Nanai-Seturo and Rayasi will join the All Blacks Sevens squad after their Mitre 10 Cup commitments at the end of this year while Gregory will assemble with the Highlanders until March 2020.

The Blues, Chiefs, Hurricanes, and Highlanders are free to recruit an additional player to their 2020 squads. The Crusaders are the only team to not have representation in the wider Sevens Squad.

http://www.allblacks.com/News/34585/olympics-beckon-for-investec-super-rugby-players

• I wonder of the highest paid rugby player in the world is prepared to take a weekend off in November for the Oceania qualifying to exploit the Olympic loophole to become Tonga eligible for the rest of his career.

My guess is not.

For context: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/international/109069929/revealed-former-all-black-charles-piutau-has-tongan-world-cup-dream-dashed

• The Blues don't have much outside back depth, so Clarke is a bit of a loss.

• @Rapido said in 2020 Olympic Sevens (Tokyo):

I wonder of the highest paid rugby player in the world is prepared to take a weekend off in November for the Oceania qualifying to exploit the Olympic loophole to become Tonga eligible for the rest of his career.

My guess is not.

I hope that the discussion of that topic can again take place in the eligibility thread and not in this thread about the Olympic sevens.