Thank God I can cook....

• First week into a "soup diet"

Been gyming for the past few months and am stronger and fitter but also just as fat. True-love politely coersed me into doing this diet her freind did that worked 'magic'

I started it on Monday and prepared the soup the day before for the whole week.

Ingrediants are:
    Bone broth (or stink supermarket stock)
    Celery (whole Bunch)
    French Beans
    KG of Carrots
    Spring Onion (Whole Bunch)
    3 Green peppers
    tomatoes

That is all! Thank goodness I can make the meanest bone broth (which is apparently good for you in so so many ways) that I managed to make this soup rather tasty.

Diet goes like this.

Day 1 - As much Soup as you like and fruit too but no bananas
    Day 2 - As Much Soup as you like and Veges too but no Potatoe type veges (Kumara Pumpkin etc) But that night you are allowed 1 medium baked potato with a small knob of butter.
    Day 3 - As much soup as you like and fruit and veges (no bananas and no potato etc all day. not even your baked one)
    Day 4 - SUCKIEST DAY EVER and the one i'm on today. All the soup you like and 3 Bananas. You can also drink Skim milk BROULP!!!
    Day 5 - 10 - 20Ozs of Beef Lamb or Fish! That is up to 566g of beef! Get in!!! I can't wait for tomorrrow 1 bowl fo soup
    Day 6 - As much Beef Lamb and fish and vegetables. Bowl of soup
    Day 7 - Brown Rice and Vegetables

I'm on day four and as the soup is a 'cleanser' I am feeling pretty good. Can see slow transformation of the body already even though only four days in.

I can not wait until tomorrow to have some meat again!!

Basically all the soup I want I can have as it is jack palance in calories. Heaps of water too.

Feeling good.

Started week at 117.8kgs!

• Ths diet goes out the weekend this weekend due to functions and rugby but doing the full 7 days next week. But using a different soup (Cabbage)

• stinky....

• ... And squirty!

Bone broth very good due to mineral content - modern diets are typically lacking in mineral content.

But soup all the time? I dunno...

I hate autocorrect ...

• With a diet like that, you are officially banned from any large gatherings (eg Rugby Games)

• Waste of time Hooroo, you'll just put it all back on afterwards when you eat normally. I did something like this ages ago. Liver cleansing diet I think it is ?

• [quote name='MN5' timestamp='1374735306' post='380811']
    Waste of time Hooroo, you'll just put it all back on afterwards when you eat normally. I did something like this ages ago. Liver cleansing diet I think it is ?
    [/quote]

I respectfully disagree.

I feel great after only five days and that in itself is a timely reminder of what I can feel like. If nothing else, it gives me even more incentive. I'm consuming a gazillion less calories a day. I can fit trousers I haven't fit in a long time.
    A few weeks of this wil certainly help me achieve a goal weight. It's not a short term measure, it's a kick start towards goal number 1 which is 110 KG's

• yeah different things will work (and not work) for different people.

• Hmmmmm thats an interesting one!

• Yeah, it's just different. It's no miracle worker. Nothing is.

It's good for me as it is full of nutrients, it's specific and if I feel hungey, I have some soup.

I do feel slightly 'cleansed' too if there is such a thing.

Basically it is just a way of massicly reducing my calorie intake and maybe shrinking my stomach. Had a steak for breakfast this morning which I have been looking forward to all week but it didn't hit the expectation level I thought it would and it was a quality staek too.

• Wife offered up soup for dinner last night. I was outraged!

• Provided you can maintain the calorie intake once you've lost the weight, then I don't see a problem.

I hate autocorrect ...

• [quote name='NTA' timestamp='1374803025' post='380885']
    Provided you can maintain the calorie intake once you've lost the weight, then I don't see a problem.

I hate autocorrect ...
    [/quote]

Which is the fundamental flaw in all diets. Lose the weight however you want but to keep it off you need to make a permanent change. That's the hard part.

• [quote name='Hooroo' timestamp='1374788875' post='380856']
    I respectfully disagree.

I feel great after only five days and that in itself is a timely reminder of what I can feel like. If nothing else, it gives me even more incentive. I'm consuming a gazillion less calories a day. I can fit trousers I haven't fit in a long time.
    A few weeks of this wil certainly help me achieve a goal weight. It's not a short term measure, it's a kick start towards goal number 1 which is 110 KG's
    [/quote]
    Fair call, didn't do much for me personally but like exercise nothing is truly "one size fits all". Personally I felt pretty drained and weak and couldn't quite last the full week, gave up on day 5 I think.

• Onto the third week.
    On Friday I had lost 6kgs (12 days into it)
    I am only doing this on week days and enjoying the weekends and still managed 6kgs so I am pretty chuffed
    Soup is a work in progress. Last weeks was bland and dire and made it really tough. This weeks has a bunch more flavour as my stock was refined a bit.
    I have never been so extreme in sticking to something. During the week, I won't eat one I calorie that I'm not meant to. Couldn't even test a berry couli I made for true love. 😞

• Still doing this Hooroo ?

• Last two days of it.  I'm on Holiday in Queenstown for a week starting Wednesday. 

Dropped 10 KG's (Probably more but last weigh in was 10kgs). 

It's great just doing it during the week and enjoying weekends as normal. Changes your eating over the weekend naturally. Haven't had any junkfood in the past month.

Great diet.  Loved it

• Good work pal and well done for sticking to it.

• I think I need to diet again! 🙂

Saw a mate that I used to surf with and we were really tight when in the Air Force.  Hadn't seen him since 98 and he looks great while I don't.

He all but called me Fatty McFattisen so I am going to Weigh In tonight at the gym and try to stop pretending that I'm OK at this weight.

Not going to set goal weight.  Just weekly targets. Not going to do soupl thing but will look at what I eat a lot more closely

• Freaky, definitely having early signs of dementia as I cannot for the life of me remember this thread.

What's the weight at the moment Hooroo ? Did ya give up the soup or were you like me and not bother posting about stuff.....

• Gave up I think. Long time ago 🙂
    Weighed in at gym 117.8.
    I thought I would be past 120 so slightly happy I'm ahead. Ha ha. Just about turned round and walked out as I'm already 'winning'
    Into the 116-117 by next Monday is first target.

• yeah skip the soup bullshit this time.

Just focus on good quality whole foods and in moderation.

• Yeah definitely skipping that.  Just watching what I eat in terms of quantity.

When we were in Hawaii a couple of years ago we had acai bowls for breakfast (which was a novelty for us) now it is readily available in NZ, we have that each monrning with some frozen bananas and beeris blitzed together and that gets me throught he morning. 

I am still cooking yummy food at night (Spanish eggs last night and will do a Nasi Goreng tonight) but just limiting my portion size. 

One single day in, it is easy and I have been good.

Peaky Blinders running at Auckland on Saturday and we will probably stay the night so diet will go out the window. (That reminds me, off to Rough Tip I go)

• A decent diet 80% of the time is all ya need mate!

Just had a nice mid morning snack of scrambled eggs (x3) with smoked marlin through it. Was awesome.

And off to Rough Tip I go too....

• How many Panheads are you allowed each day ?

• I tend not to drink during the week although have found myself having a few on Wednesday and Thursday which doesn't help.

I mix (you'll be disgusted) panheads amongst my Drive-its in the fridge. Still haven't tried yellow or orange panhead

• I've just completed this program (called Kenzai) which teaches you what to eat and gets you in shape.  I dropped 9.5kg in 2.5 months, and also gained a shed load of muscle, so ditched a lot of fat and water.  There's no secrets or anything reveealing, it'st just plain and simple

1. Eat fresh foods - fruit, vegetable, non processed meat
    2. No salt, no sugar
    3. Eggs and loads of egg whites,
    4. No carbs in the evening
    5. Carbs are carbs - bread, pasta, rice etc.  Vegetables are vegetbales - potatoes, carrots, avocados etc
    6. Avocado on toast is the breakfast of champions.  add a poached egg for luxury.

And that's it really.  It's worked wonders for me and the way I think.  I ran into Phooey just before Xmas and he didn't recognise me as I'd blown out a bit, this diet has been a real eye opener.

• Congrats mate! 

There is one thing amongst that, I will not give up!  Salt!  Too important when cooking. I don't add salt after I have prepared a dish as I use the 'right' amount in preparation.

Broken down, that is just plain healthy eating really, and I like it. I try and cut carbs at night but end up with rice/noodles/pasta/potatoes as True Love works on the farm all day and enjoys it.  I can control portions though now (aftrer one day and I realise that sounds stupid and I need to re-check at the end of teh week to see if I have slipped with portion size)

Have you kept it off well?

• Congrats mate! 

There is one thing amongst that, I will not give up!  Salt!  Too important when cooking. I don't add salt after I have prepared a dish as I use the 'right' amount in preparation.

Broken down, that is just plain healthy eating really, and I like it. I try and cut carbs at night but end up with rice/noodles/pasta/potatoes as True Love works on the farm all day and enjoys it.  I can control portions though now (aftrer one day and I realise that sounds stupid and I need to re-check at the end of teh week to see if I have slipped with portion size)

Have you kept it off well?

Only finished a week ago, but I know already that my mindset towards food has changed permanently.  The hardest parts are going to be finding the time to do the daily exercise, and limitations to alcohol.  I had a few beers through the program, but not much.

Nothing wrong with potatoes in the evening  - they are a vegetable!

I'm no preacher, but I will say you'll be amazed how quickly you find you no longer need salt.  Takes maximum 2 weeks before you don't even notice it anymore. 

A few tricks and tips to portion control which I learned (and worked for me)

1. Snack 3 times a day (morning, afternoon and evening) - with fresh fruit, and a decent portion too
    2. Don't cook more than you need - except for excess vegetables
    3. Use small plates.  I know this sounds fucking stupid, but it worked for me! Others didn't, so each to their own
    4. Don't view carbs negatively - very very important part of the diet, you shouldn't feel guilty for eating them.

Anyway, maybe I should check back in, in 3 months to let you know how I've gone ... changed from 96 to just under 87 kg, and  I think for my height, I should aim to be around 81-83kg, so I'm not finished yet.  But I'm a damn site closer to my goal weight than I was in Feb.

• How old are you mate? I'm 41. 

That's all good advice, thanks, and I will try tonight with smaller plate/bowl for Nasi Goreng. True-love will thingk I have been possessed by a demon.

My biggest hiccup when I do put on weight is setting the goal target and aiming for that rather than setting very small goals each week and progressing. Hopefully by doing this, I will set tougher goals each week.  First week is pretty easy as I only have to get to 116.9 to achieve first milestone.

• plate size is something often mentioned, a sub-conscious thing apparently, a bigger plate you feel you need to make it full otherwise the mind thinks you haven't had enough to eat off a large half empty/full plate.

1. As somebody who drives a desk each day, it can be pretty tough trying to keep health in order, as the calorific demands are so much lower than what you crave.

I basically decided to get my house in order for a few reasons.  Biggest is obviously my children (2 and 4), as they are just getting more and more demanding and I want to give them as much as they deserve, but secondly is because we are doing a big move next year to UK, and I'm going to be pitching myself to hedge funds at partner level - the healthier you are, the better you look, the better chance at landing a good gig.

• Oh man! I hear you there. I am looking at a few GM/CE roles and was going to apply for one that I would think I would get an interview minimum but didn't apply as I want to present myself as someone that has control over my own self.

The fitter I am, the clearer I think.

• 3. Use small plates.  I know this sounds fucking stupid, but it worked for me! Others didn't, so each to their own

I'm glad you post this yesterday!  I did exactly that. I served up Mrs Hooroos in a normal type of bowl and then served up mine and had pretty much the same portion as her (I would usually have more) and it looked as though I had nearly twice as much.  She even commented on my portion size and was suprised to hear we had exactly the same (In fact I think I may have had a little less)

It worked a treat (Helps to slow process down by eating with shopsticks too)

• have been telling my olds about plate and serving size for ages. Dad is a grazer so he'll knock off dinner (at least twice the size of mum's) then chip away at left overs throughout the evening. Told dad he could have a smaller serving and still graze (not that great a habit though) or to reduce his serving a bit and no topping up later!

• I'm a shocker at the time of night as well.

Usually eat dinner early due to the kids and then if they have any leftover protein items (ie meat they dont finish) I usually eat that while cleaning up. I offer any leftovers to my boy first as he needs to be on the gain train more than me right now.

Then once they are in bed I go after something sweet - usually cake or biscuits as wife bakes a lot.

Then usually natural yoghrurt and a scoop of protein pre bed

• I tend not to drink during the week although have found myself having a few on Wednesday and Thursday which doesn't help.

I mix (you'll be disgusted) panheads amongst my Drive-its in the fridge. Still haven't tried yellow or orange panhead

I am disgusted, you're right.

My vice ( obviously ) is the odd beer/wine here and there, but long gone are the days of a dozen shitty ones, much prefer 2-3 top quality brews. Other half isn't a drinker but she does enjoy chocolate/donuts etc so between us we keep eachother pretty honest and if we both overindulge we motivate eachother to try and burn it off ( easier for her on account of being a fitness instructor ! )

I'm about 103kg at the moment but being quite tall I think I wear it ok. Can still get into 34 jeans and do weights and decent bodyweight exercises even if my goal of 20 chin ups is proving tough