Low Fat Foods

• Just to give a bit of an idea to myself and maybe others of good low fat foods that have low Saturated fats etc...

Need ideas when out and about, look on packets of food for the saturated fat %, but when out and about eating on the run just be good to have an idea of food which you can eat a fair amount of and not worry about the huge fat content.

Noodles good?
    Sushi?
    Any seafood without smoothered in dressings?
    Most fruit

anyone add to list?

• If you must have fast food a kebab is prob best of bad bunch.

I struggled yesterday as I had to help host someone from H Kong Head Office.

Morning tea - 1/2 saus roll.  Lunch Caesar Salad and water.  Dinner Sashimi starter and chix teppanyaki (and 3 beers - 1st alcohol of week where's the shaking emoticon).  So advice on when you have to eat out also appreciated.

• Be vary careful that low fat doesn't mean loaded with sugars and salt - high GI and calorific value. Not good for ya.

• I look for Fat Saturated %, try and get below 10g...this right??

• I usually work on a percentage basis against the size of meal. Most foods list gm of fat per 100g of product, and if its higher than 8% I try to avoid it. If the volume of food is small (e.g. a biscuit) then knowing the fat content is high, I limit myself to a given number of them.

Same thing for sugars, which are usually listed as a component of carbohydrates here in Oz - anything higher than 50% is doubtful UNLESS there are mitigating factors e.g. high in protein and/or fibre. So grain breakfast cereals are around 70% carb, but I'm eating them in the morning to turn the motor over, and there is lots of fibre and protein in Weet bix.

• [quote name='Paj']
    Just to give a bit of an idea to myself and maybe others of good low fat foods that have low Saturated fats etc...

Need ideas when out and about, look on packets of food for the saturated fat %, but when out and about eating on the run just be good to have an idea of food which you can eat a fair amount of and not worry about the huge fat content.

Noodles good?  No
    Sushi?                Yes
    Any seafood without smoothered in dressings?  yes
    Most fruit    yes

anyone add to list?

[/quote]

• Avoid ANYTHING that is processed.

If you stick to natural un-processed foodstuffs you will be fine. It is more work cooking & preparing but after a while your taste buds will be delighted with simple things like steamed carrot or broccoli.

BUY A STEAMER. Steam ALL your vegetables!!! Tastes fantastic, very healthy and loads of vitamins.

• [quote name='Irish Richard']
    Avoid ANYTHING that is processed.

If you stick to natural un-processed foodstuffs you will be fine. It is more work cooking & preparing but after a while your taste buds will be delighted with simple things like steamed carrot or broccoli.

BUY A STEAMER. Steam ALL your vegetables!!! Tastes fantastic, very healthy and loads of vitamins.
    [/quote]

Agree. Steamers are excellent. Food tastes much better esp carrot and broccoli.

Re Oils. A lot of people in NZ badly lack the essential Omega 3 fatty acids (esp DHA and EPA). This can be obtained by eating a lot of raw fish but a high quality fish oil supplement is probably something to be considered. But it can be hard to find a decent one, and until recently every one I tried caused me grief.  [url="http://www.xtend-life.com"]www.xtend-life.com[/url] (a NZ company) is one that seems high quality and is higher in DHA, and is worth considering.

Also Omega 6 GLA from Borage (starflower) oil is also something worth taking.

Otherwise take a high quality olive oil. Getting enough of these good oils might stop the cravings for fatty rubbish food.

Other do's  (but change slowly and don't switch to food that you don't enjoy eating)

Consider trying a blood type diet. Type O = lots of meatÂ

Reduce (or eliminate) fried food. This is much easier with a good intake of healthy oil. And with a fish oil supplement and olive oil this should be enough. Some NZ companies also produce excellent Flax and Avacado oils so take these also if you enjoy the taste.

Change to healthy salt.

Reduce wheat. For example change to spelt or rye rather than wheat (mainly because wheat is very hard for humans to break down according to books I have read, and can clog the intestines.)

Drink lots of water.  Buy a good water filter. Not a jug filter although they are better than nothing. I also don't like bottled water but some disagree.

Reduce intake of coffee, soft drinks etc

Eat healthy food. eg organic or free range chicken rather than the cheaper stuff.

Dairy products might be bad for some people.

Â