Advice: I am seriously considering buy a Harley Davidson

• I may have gone the full bogan. Living here on the GC I have developed a love of Harley's but know bugger all really.

I have some jumping through hoops to do re licensing but I'd be keen to hear any thoughts from those in the know on what to look out for.

looking at a custom 2008 Night Train and a 2012 V Rod.

Any ideas, tips or warnings appreciated.

• as someone who worked in the claims part of an Insurer, I'd say don't do it!

I would love to buy one, but some of the stuff I dealt with, and coversations with some that survived, means it will always remain a' dream' for me.

That said, the V-Rod is a mean looking ride, and IF I did get a bike, I'd be looking at something like that, hold their value pretty well too!

Don't skimp on the safety gear (helmet, boots, trousers, jackets etc)

• If you get one, sit it in the man cave and admire it. Don't even think about taking it out on the road.
    If you want a good rundown on the perils of bike riding in Oz, contact Mainlander. He and his local hospital are good friends.

• If you want to do it, and you've done your research on the pros and cons and still want to do it ... do it.

You'll regret it the rest of your life otherwise.

(I have nothing to add on the bike etc, but your first 2 responses were negativity, so I'm balancing that out a bit - even though I'm a self confessed motorcycle retard)

• as someone who worked in the claims part of an Insurer, I'd say don't do it!

I would love to buy one, but some of the stuff I dealt with, and coversations with some that survived, means it will always remain a' dream' for me.

That said, the V-Rod is a mean looking ride, and IF I did get a bike, I'd be looking at something like that, hold their value pretty well too!

Ha I should have expanded on the warning bit. I understand the risks. I have kids after all. But Im not a crazy old hoon on a midlife crisis tip. Im sure there will be times when I peel out at the lights but Im not going to be tempted to dodge in and out of traffic like the fuck sticks i see every day to and from work. 

I had a HQ ute i had been working on for years that I just gave to the old man and I need something else to play with.

• as an aside, have you ridden much?

That was probably a big thing I learnt too, get plenty of dudes, like you (assuming 40/50 yrs) who used to ride a bit back in their teens, 20s, and then jump on a pretty new bike, which is a totally new beast compared to what they used to ride, and then...

I didn't mean to come across negative, but is just my opinion, I'd love to ride a bike round the countryside, I see people doing it on the weekends and think thatd be a mint way to get about, but the risk assessment in my mind would not allow me to do it, similarly wingsuit flying....

I added a bit to my original post that you may have missed about safety equipment, makes a big difference!!

• I have never owned but I have ridden lots. My step father was a triumph enthusiast and I know roughly how to maintain a bike. Just never actually got around to the licensing.

• as an aside, have you ridden much?

That was probably a big thing I learnt too, get plenty of dudes, like you (assuming 40/50 yrs) who used to ride a bit back in their teens, 20s, and then jump on a pretty new bike, which is a totally new beast compared to what they used to ride, and then...

I didn't mean to come across negative, but is just my opinion, I'd love to ride a bike round the countryside, I see people doing it on the weekends and think thatd be a mint way to get about, but the risk assessment in my mind would not allow me to do it, similarly wingsuit flying....

I added a bit to my original post that you may have missed about safety equipment, makes a big difference!!

not for another 3 years mate!

• not for another 3 years mate!

so you are 37/47 years old 😉

• when i was balls deep in Sons of Anarchy i wanted a Harley. My wife said no. Which is good, because i've never ridden a motorbike in my life, and most probably would have died early doors.

• when i was balls deep in Sons of Anarchy i wanted a Harley. My wife said no. Which is good, because i've never ridden a motorbike in my life, and most probably would have died early doors.

Oh yes thank god that didn't happen, how would the fern have managed without you and your sharp witt/intellect.

• you're trying too hard

1. are you taking enough steroids and/or KFC to fit the part?
    2. is this a mid life crisis?

• so you are 37/47 years old 😉

1. is this a mid life crisis?

not quite/yes! 🙂

• Do you have a friend to tow you home?

• Answer the following honestly to determine if you are a potential Harley owner

Are you male?
    Do you have a beard?
    Is it grey?
    Do you have a XXL beer gut?
    Do you have a collection of black XL t-shirts to cram your XXL gut into?
    Do have a fetching polka dot bandana to cover your bald pate and make you look "mongrel"?
    Do you belong to a real ale club?
    Do you need something to compensate for your "size"?
    Do you really like spending your spare time polishing chrome?
    Do you have arthritic knees?

• No wonder I didn't think it important that he got one. I can only answer yes to one of those questions.

• Oh yes thank god that didn't happen, how would the fern have managed without you and your sharp witt/intellect.

Mariner would blow off a Harley if he ever picked up enough speed

• at least i would blow off a Harley and not a West Indian cricketer

• Answer the following honestly to determine if you are a potential Harley owner
     Are you male?Do you have a beard?Is it grey?Do you have a XXL beer gut?Do you have a collection of black XL t-shirts to cram your XXL gut into?Do have a fetching polka dot bandana to cover your bald pate and make you look "mongrel"?Do you belong to a real ale club?Do you need something to compensate for your "size"?Do you really like spending your spare time polishing chrome?Do you have arthritic knees?

Dont forget ridiculously large tacky belt buckles