The rugby agent, the coach and the hotel meeting – how to import Pacific players

• I remember my home district club brought over a South African Prop, in his second year he just sat on his arse at the club captains home and hardly ever came to games and training.

• Glass said rugby players were being brought in as joiners, woodworkers, even beekeepers. Beekeeping was on the immigration skills shortage list so a beekeeping school had been started up in Tonga, he said. "Down the track that could be the vision of what we do."

Wonder what proportion of the people at the beekeeping school are aspiring rugby players.

• Another story along the same lines: 

• FFS if they want rugby visas, talk to the government, not Immigration. Immigration doesn't create the visa categories, they just assess people's eligibility for them.

• The ability to play senior club rugby should be on Immigration NZs skilled shortages list, especially props! That would solve a lot of problems for struggling clubs.

• I might be missing something but these seem to be non stories. People rort the immigration rules for lots of different reasons , these guys do it to play rugby .

• Matamata were recently promoted and really struggled in the Premiers.  They didn't win a game until the promotion/relegation phase.  I'm not surprised teams like this are so reliant on PI players to fill gaps.

• Born there? Started playing juniors there? Started playing seniors there? Permanent Resident or citizen there?

Bit more info would be nice.

Wonder what proportion of the people at the beekeeping school are aspiring rugby players.

Some people get a buzz out of it....

• Born there? Started playing juniors there? Started playing seniors there? Permanent Resident or citizen there?

Bit more info would be nice.

Some people get a buzz out of it....

Don't quit your day job Dad

• Ha! Jealous because you didn't get there first.

• Some people get a buzz out of it....

ffs