Our whizzkid wingers

• It's almost a NZ rugby pastime to unfurl young new sensation wingers on the populace for the All Blacks - was thinking about Reiko Iaone and Bones's post in the Wales thread

I'm talking ones about under 22 years old who come from obscurity or have a break out season and find themselves in or close to a test 11 or 14 jersey

Just like our amateur fill ins to make 15 on a saturday morning it seems that the wing has less potential ruin a game and often AB selectors take a punt on whizzkid wingers

The flag bearer is of course Jonah (RIP great man)

Who are the others you can think of (particularly from the amateur era)? 

JK

Grant Batty - tore it up in secondary schools - search youtube for a 23 min doco of an amazing little fellow, if you don't know him

Julian Savea

Joe Rok?

Jasin Goldsmith - he was fucken promising (shit not sure if he made the ABs?)

Innes

• You missed Goldie.

• You missed Goldie.

Facepalm - doh

• Caleb Ralph

• Ron Jarden would likely make it wouldn't he? He must have been around 22 when he got his first test,

Zac Guildford.

• Caleb Ralph

You're like rain on a fucking wedding day MN5 (literally though, not ironically) 🙂  - applause smiley though

• BG Williams

• Ron Jarden would likely make it wouldn't he? He must have been around 22 when he got his first test,

Zac Guildford.

You're slipping in your old age pal, took you two whole posts to mention a HB player.

• Ralph was a whizz kid midfielder.

• You're like rain on a fucking wedding day MN5 (literally though, not ironically) 🙂  - applause smiley though

I get called worse on here on a daily basis, less so over the weekend as I post far less. Is it any consolation to point out he actually debuted at centre ? I realized that but not as soon as the others no doubt.

• You're slipping in your old age pal, took you two whole posts to mention a HB player.

I spent too much time trying to figure out if Lui Paewai played on the wing back in '24, turns out he didn't.

• Craig Wickes.

"He is notable as being the second-youngest All Black ever and the only player selected while still at high school."

• Doug Howlett.

Zac Guildford.

Ron Jarden - 145 tries in 134 first-class matches.

• Nehe Milner-Skudder

• Nehe Milner-Skudder
    He turns 26 this year and debuted last year?

• He turns 26 this year and debuted last year?

AB in debut year - check

Age for a whizz kid - cross

Thanks saulitttvvyyvttviyvi 😉

• Lelia Masaga was 22 when he debuted

• Inga was only 20 wasnt he

• BG and Jonah were both 19,

Im not so sure we will ever see teenagers selected again

• Jasin Goldsmith - he was fucken promising (shit not sure if he made the ABs?)

Yep, broke his leg in the second game (maybe) of the ABs tour of Australia in 1988 and went home. Came back a year or so later but was never the same.

• Yep, broke his leg in the second game (maybe) of the ABs tour of Australia in 1988 and went home. Came back a year or so later but was never the same.
    Nah. He played the whole tour, and was good. Shattered his leg at the start of 89 playing for Auckland in a SPC match.

• Nah. He played the whole tour, and was good. Shattered his leg at the start of 89 playing for Auckland in a SPC match.

Yeah, that is what I remember. Did it playing against Canterbury?

• Any footage of this fella floating around?

• Nah. He played the whole tour, and was good. Shattered his leg at the start of 89 playing for Auckland in a SPC match.

Was at that game.
    Recall thinking he was thoroughly overrated when first picked. Then he did score a couple of good tries early 89. Then that.

• Any footage of this fella floating around?
    I went looking for Waikato v Wales 1988 but couldn't find it. I think it was this match that got him the tour spot.
    Had a nice hour looking at some vintage late 80s rugby.
    Goldsmith does score twice in this romp tour match v WA:

Or here, a lot of play goes his way:

• Nisbo hasn't changed his hair or Mo!

• Nisbo hasn't changed his hair or Mo!

Or cliches

• Sivi to a degree - was 21 turning 22 the season he was selected for the PI team, then in waiting for an AB jersey at that point.