High School Rugby

• Listening to RS sport this morning and were talking about this website which has a lot of good info

http://www.hstop200.com/

• Cheers TR

The Sky College Sport Facebook page is also good for info - it updates quickly on the weekend.

https://www.facebook.com/1stXVrugby

• Nepia will be happy with Hastings BHS this year.  They will likely win the Super 8 comp and might be the best 1st XV in the country on current form.

I'll be at the Ham BHS-Tauranga Boys’ College game this Sat.  It's the live game on the Rugby Channel.

• yeah Gibbit has been trumpeting HBHS's success, and he was on RS this morning too (filling in for Mulls)

• Has Mulls been stood down?

• Nepia will be happy with Hastings BHS this year.  They will likely win the Super 8 comp and might be the best 1st XV in the country on current form.

I'll be at the Ham BHS-Tauranga Boys’ College game this Sat.  It's the live game on the Rugby Channel.

Very happy. Although, no doubt they'll fall at a final hurdle ... I watched a few of the Hika Elliott captained team's matches back in 04/05ish and didn't think they could be beaten and lost to Chch in the top four semi finals in the second half after looking like they were going to run away with it in the first.

I'm just happy Napier Boys was beaten this year.

• You can watch all the highlights from each round of the Auckland 1A comp here: https://www.youtube.com/auckland1stxvtv

Big match this round between the two unbeaten teams Mt Albert Grammar and Sacred Heart.

• You can watch all the highlights from each round of the Auckland 1A comp here: https://www.youtube.com/auckland1stxvtv

Big match this round between the two unbeaten teams Mt Albert Grammar and Sacred Heart.

At this stage it looks like MAGS will run away with it comfortably but funnier things have happened.

• MAGS look really strong.. the have power and pace.. they have a really good coach in Mooney as well

My old man went to Sacred Heart so hope they win but MAGS look very very strong.

• The MAGS team are huge from 1 to 15. What's most impressive about their season is they have picked up a 4-try bonus point in all eight of their games. Not sure if that will last as their final three games are against Sacred Heart, St Kents and Kings but would not surprise me if they went through unbeaten.

The scary thing is, only five of their squad are Year 13 so next season could be more one-way traffic.

Quite cool that Junior Tonu'u and Eroni Clarke's boys are team mates together just like their dads.

• Listening to RS sport this morning and were talking about this website which has a lot of good info

http://www.hstop200.com/

Rongotai are way overrated in those ratings.

Saint Pats Town are probably the best team in Wellington.

• There's plenty of flaws in the way that dude does his ratings. For the player ratings he finds a phone number for a kid who's in a certain school's 1st XV and has a yarn with them about who are the best players in the team. Before the season started there were students messing him around for a joke and telling him a 15-year-old fringe player was a GOAT or giving him wrong positions or just making up names.

I wondered how he could compare a kid from Southland to a kid from Rosmini when those schools may only have one TV game a year. It's all guess work, conjecture and facebook snooping.

• yeah he said he rates them based on them as a person as well rather than just on field performance, similarly the team standings, I don't think HBHS have won every game with a BP but sit higher than MAGS who have a BP from every game...?

So yes they are subjective, but is more other info on there which is good

• Hastings are ranked higher because he seeded them way higher than MAGS to begin the season based on his reconnaissance.

• yeah I think he said if MAGS beat Sacred Heart they will go ahead of HBHS regardless of how their next match goes....

• I'd never seen that website before.  You might disagree with his rankings but good on him for taking the time. 

It's almost impossible to rank players without seeing them all play.  I've seen Florence play live - he's a ginga so hard to miss.

For the teams, we will get a better indication of the relative strength of each school once the Top 4 playoffs start.  Hastings has already beaten a few Wellington teams this season and play Ham BHS at home on Aug 6.  5 Auckland schools in his Top 10 but only 1 can advance to the Top 4 finals.

• yeah he said he rates them based on them as a person as well rather than just on field performance, similarly the team standings, I don't think HBHS have won every game with a BP but sit higher than MAGS who have a BP from every game...?

So yes they are subjective, but is more other info on there which is good

Super 8 is a lot harder than the Auckland competition, I think. Especially given the amount of All Blacks produced.

• Heard some odd stat last year that 60% of NZ Super Rugby squads are made up of Auckland 1A alumni

• I didn't realise they had that many scholarship players in their schools up there!

• There's also quite few a Auckland 1A representation in the NRL as well

• I was just reading an article the other day, from when the herald were going a feature on the poaching and other stuff going on in the 1A Comp.
    This was back in 2013 I think, but a stat was at that time the 1A had only produced 1 all black in the last 7 years, and that AB was Benson Stanley.
    Have there been many or any since? Luatua? Ofa T last week (or was he Counties?), maybe Piutau? or again was he schooled in Counties?
    That's fucking atrocious.
    How many All Blacks has e.g. Manawatu's schools produce in the same 10 year time frame? Whitelocks x 3, NMS, C Taylor, A Smith, Cruden

• I was just reading an article the other day, from when the herald were going a feature on the poaching and other stuff going on in the 1A Comp.
    This was back in 2013 I think, but a stat was at that time the 1A had only produced 1 all black in the last 7 years, and that AB was Benson Stanley.
    Have there been many or any since? Luatua? Ofa T last week (or was he Counties?)
    How many All Blacks has e.g. Manawatu's schools produce in the same 10 year time frame? Whitelocks x 3, NMS, C Taylor, A Smith, Cruden

Yep, the Super 8 teams must have a decent number of ABs over that 10 year period.

• Piutau went to Wesley, so did Pulu and Fekitoa.

Have there been many or any since? Luatua? Ofa T last week (or was he Counties?)

Ofa T never played 1A rugby as his school was and still is a 1B school. There's been Pat Tuipulotu, George Moala, Francis Saili, Ben Afeaki, James Parsons and Seta Tamanivalu off the top of my head possibly more but can't think of any at the moment.

• Ofa T never played 1A rugby as his school was and still is a 1B school. There's been Pat Tuipulotu, George Moala, Francis Saili, Ben Afeaki, James Parsons and Seta Tamanivalu off the top of my head possibly more but can't think of any at the moment.
    Cheers. So, Quite a few more,
    Although I think Parsons would be too old to fit the criteria, if I was to nitpick ......
    Even more than Mr and Mrs Whitelock.

• Easy win for MAGS over Sacred Heart. St Peters defeated AGS 19-13 in a tight encounter and with Kelston and Dilworth remaining, St Peters are looking good for a top 4 finish.

• Hastings BHS 32 v New Plymouth BHS 3

• Highlights of MAGS' big win over Sacred Herat, plus all the other 1A matches:

That MAGS mob are big enough to play Under 20s.

• A mid-term update on 1st XV rugby in each of the regions.

http://absnz.org.nz/rugby-mid-term-report/

• A mid-term update on 1st XV rugby in each of the regions.

http://absnz.org.nz/rugby-mid-term-report/

I'm assuming it was just a typo that Otumoetai College wasn't mentioned among the sides vying for the Chiefs title

• The Hurricanes U18 team to play the Crusaders U18 this Saturday (Rugby Park, Christchurch, 2pm)

1. NUMIA Xavier - St Patrick's College
    2. DEVERY Jacob - Hastings Boys High
    3. FARRELL Tim - Napier Boys High
    4. AH KUOI Naitoa - Wellington College
    5. BAUCKHAM Liam - Hastings Boys High
    6. RUAWAI - Matene - PNBHS
    7. TIPOKI Naera - Gisborne Boys High
    8. IOSE Brayden - PNBHS
    9. PRICE Carlos - St Kentigern
    10. MCCLUTCHIE Lincoln - Hastings Boys
    11. DAWAI Mosese - Feilding High School
    12. TO'O Denny - Rongotai College
    13. PLUMTREE Reece - Wellington College
    14. KOROI Vilimoni - Feilding High School
    15. GARDEN-BACHOP Connor - Scots College
    16. TE PUNI - Te Ariki - PNBHS
    17. KERERU-SYMES Keanu - Hastings Boys High
    18. MATENGA Sam - Gisborne Boys High
    19. CIRIKIDAVETA Te Ahiwaru - St Kentigern
    20. TREMAIN Will - Napier Boys High
    21. SWORD Regan - Marist St Pat's
    22. TUFUGA Ueta - Massey University
    23. TOALA Danny - Hastings Boys High

Representing 10 different schools, 7 of the players are from Wellington, 7 from Hawkes Bay, 6 from Manawatu, 2 from Poverty Bay, and 1 from East Coast. Four players who do not currently attend secondary school in the region qualify under the team’s eligibility criteria based on their age and Provincial Union affiliation.

More: http://www.collegesportmedia.co.nz/rugby-union/hurricanes-name-strong-u18-team-to-play-crusaders

• NZ Schools and NZ Barbarians Schools programme:

Saturday September 23-Monday September 25 
    Development camp (50-55 players)
    Millennium Institute, Auckland

Thursday September 29 
    Australian Schools v Fiji Schools
    Sacred Heart College, Auckland
    5.00pm

Monday October 3
    Australian Schools v NZ Barbarians Schools 
    Mt Albert Grammar School, Auckland 
    1.10pm 
    Fiji Schools v New Zealand Schools
    Mt Albert Grammar School 
    2.50pm 

Saturday October 8 
    Fiji Schools v NZ Barbarians Schools
    Auckland Grammar School, Auckland
    1.10pm*

Saturday October 8
    Australian Schools v New Zealand Schools
    Auckland Grammar School
    2.50pm*

TV schedule:
    *Both games played on Saturday October 8 will be broadcast live on the Rugby Channel. I hope we will - somehow - be able to see the other NZ games as well. Streaming can be that hard, can it?

Management teams:

New Zealand Schools
    Head coach: Jason Holland (Hurricanes)
    Assistant coach: Tom Cairns (Poverty Bay/Gisborne Boys' High School)
    Manager: Nick Reid (Awatapu College)
    S&C coach: Gareth Duder (Canterbury)
    Physio: Karl Houltham (Highlanders)
    Performance analyst: Tom Martin (Manawatu)

NZ Barbarians Schools
    Head coach: Ryan Martin (Otago Boys' High School)
    Assistant coach: Sam Moore (New Plymouth Boys' High School)
    Manager: Chris Metcalfe (Mount Albert Grammar School)
    S&C coach: James Holden (Samoa 7s/Northland)
    Physio: Andy McGregor (Auckland Grammar School)
    Performance analyst: TBC

More info: Fixtures announced for NZ Schools and NZ Barbarians Schools

• St Kents beat MAGS 8-3 so MAGS suffer their first loss of the season. 

The Hastings BHS-Hamilton BHS Super 8 game was cancelled due to the weather.  The same teams meet in the Super 8 final this Sat.

• Here are the highlights from Round 11 of the 1A comp. St Kents coming home with a wet sail... 

Worth checking the try by Dilworth's pint-sized first-five Moli Faiva. He's been scoring tries like this last season and this. His size might count against him but he could be worth a look at higher honours next season in his final year...

• Hopefully my old school St Peters can get up at MAGS but I can't see it lol. Bonus points have cost us a bit this year.

• St Kents beat MAGS 8-3 so MAGS suffer their first loss of the season. 

The Hastings BHS-Hamilton BHS Super 8 game was cancelled due to the weather.  The same teams meet in the Super 8 final this Sat.

saw a little of the game while flicking channels

Their hooker is the goal kicker! surely must be the only team in the world where that's the case!!!

• saw a little of the game while flicking channels

Their hooker is the goal kicker! surely must be the only team in the world where that's the case!!!

Are you old enough to remember when Steve Watt (a prop) used to do the kicking for Auckland? He was a pretty good kicker too - unfortunately, they mainly picked him for his kicking.  🙂

• Hopefully my old school St Peters can get up at MAGS but I can't see it lol. Bonus points have cost us a bit this year.

Given my religious background, would love to see an all-Catholic final!

• Who holds the Catholic Shield now? Sacred Heart?