Canterbury v Tasman

• TASMAN team to play Canterbury:

1. Mitchell Hunt, 14. Tima Faingaanuku, 13. Kieron Fonotia, 12. David Havili, 11. James Lowe, 10. Marty Banks, 9. Finlay Christie;
    2. Vernon Fredericks, 7. Shane Christie (captain), 6. Shannon Frizell, 5. Quinten Strange, 4. Jeff Lepa, 3. Ross Geldenhuys, 2. Jesse MacDonald, 1. Tim Perry. 

Reserves: 16. Andrew Makalio, 17. Kane Hames, 18. Blair Prinsep, 19. Pete Samu, 20. Tevita Koloamatangi, 21. Billy Guyton, 22. Alex Nankivell, 23. Jesse Pitman-Joass

• Hmmmm - in theory we should be able to match them in the backs.

Winning ball is going to be the challenge - I hope Frizell has his jumping boots on, because I struggle to see Lepa and Strange winning many lineouts vs Bird and Barrett.

Realistically, Perry and maybe Geldenhuys are the only Tasman forwards who would get a start in that Canterbury pack.

Could be a long afternoon for Tasman.

• Nice team try from Jordie Barrett. 

Sad to see already two Tasman players (including David Havili) going off because of injury. Havili's seem to be a neck injury or possible concussion.

Canterbury leads 10 to 6, after Barrett converted his own try.

• Commentators' man-love for Canterbury and Jordi Barrett, in particular, is a bit over the top. You'd think JB was SBW given the build-up he's been given!  🙂

Tasman hanging in there playing into the wind. Marty Banks being fucking good as usual.

As expected, Canterbury forwards giving us all we can handle at line-out time. Need the ref to stop Hodgman angling in at scrumtime - that fucker has been coming in at nearly 45" and getting away with it.

Other person we particularly need to stop is Rob Thompson - causing lots of problems with ball in hand.

Canterbury will be a bit disappointed by that scoreline, but Tasman has defended pretty well.

Let's hope we get more chances with ball in hand and field position in the second half - we've occasionally looked promising as well.

• Nice work by Hunt puts big Faingaanuku in in the corner - shoulda lost the ball in the tackle and drawn the yellow and penalty try for the high tackle.  🙂

• Any chance of a score update please, stuck in Thailand with no where to watch

• As a neutral, I don't think the commentators are showing more man-love for Canterbury than for Tasman.

The praise for Jordie Barrett is justified; he's showing a lot of promise.

I agree that these commentators aren't great though. Never been a fan of Laban.

Great offload from Todd leading to a great try from the Birdman.

• Canterbury leading 24-14.

• Thanks Stargazer much appreciated.
    How are we playing overall?

• Canterbury that is

• Another try to Canterbury, scored by Lienert-Brown? Again converted by Barrett: Canterbury 31 - 14 Tasman with 12 minutes to go.

• Thanks Stargazer much appreciated.
    How are we playing overall?

Canterbury clearly dominating the game; Tasman defending well though, otherwise the score would have been much higher.

That new Canterbury player Nathan Earl is an interesting player with potential.

Goodhue just scored the bonus point try for Canterbury. After conversion, it's now 38-14.

Oh, and if McNicholl wasn't going overseas, he would have been higher up the AB wannabe-queque than James Lowe.

• Who's that big boy in the no. 22 jersey for Tasman? Don't know him, but he can run!

• That was a great intercept from Jordie Barrett, leading to an excellent try by Canterbury's no. 22 (Finau?).

Full time: Canterbury 45 - 14 Tasman.

5 tries to 1

Canterbury well-deserved winners. Tasman not bad; not sure when exactly it went wrong, but I suspect bringing on bench players played a role in the big defeat.

• Tasman virtually no ball or field position in the second half.

Biggest difference between the two teams was probably Big Bird (assisted by Scott Barrett and Luke Whitelock). I think we might have won one lineout. Scrum was under severe pressure at times, though markedly improved when Kane Hames came on. I think a lot from the power that was coming from behind the front rows.

Hard to see who's going to beat Canterbury this season. Most teams simply aren't going to have size to compete with their forwards. They've dismissed Auckland and Tasman with ease.

• Tasman not bad; not sure when exactly it went wrong, but I suspect bringing on bench players played a role in the big defeat.

Not being able to win any ball was a bit of a problem. 🙂

Frizell getting injured early was pretty much the end of the Tasman lineout. He's a lock loosie, so at least provided good potential as the third lineout forward. Once he was gone, Bird and Barrett (and Whitelock) was a complete mismatch on Strange and Lepa.

Princep coming on for Geldenhuys was under a lot of pressure at tighthead from Lienert-Brown - otherwise most of the replacements were OK. Hames an obvious upgrade and Makalio probably an improvement on McDonald.

• Geez Luke Romano has put on a lot of bulk looking at him live. Suprised he can move. Tasman looked ok out wide but were badly beaten up front. Rob Thompson and Nathan Earle looked very good for the cantabs as well as their pack. I can see where SammyC is coming from in terms of Scott Barretts size as he is quite small for a lock. Looks bigger on tv than he does in person.

Sadly I can't see anyone other than Canterbury winning yet another title. Just give it to them now I say lol.

• Romano seems to almost be on the outer now. Didn't get many starts for the Crusaders and now struggling to get a start for Canterbury.

• Romano seems to almost be on the outer now. Didn't get many starts for the Crusaders and now struggling to get a start for Canterbury.

I think Robertson perhaps more just keeping him warm for the ABs and bedding in the guys who are going to carry his season.