Fastest AB Backline. Ever.

• Just mulling over the midfield contenders for the Lions tour, geez isn't it a bit earlier to be worrying about that.
    But it got me wondering about a potentially super-speedy AB backline firstly,
    and then secondly what would our fastest ever backline have been (lets say within a season - so you have the ability to mix n' match, but can't play players somewhere they didn't play (if this makes sense)

Anyhow, my Speedy Gonzales backline... 9. A Smith, 10. B.Barrett 11. Naholo 12. Jordie Barrett 13. Ngatai 14. Milner-Skudder 15. B.Smith. 
    Bit of an eye to the future there with Jordie, but we know how fast 9 & 10 are, Jordie seems as quick. Naholo is a jet. Seems to me they'd be quick.

So thinking back...
    the 96/97 backline - 9. Bachop 10. Spencer/Merhtens 11. Lomu 12. Alatini 13. Ieremia  14. Umaga 15. Cullen ? did this bunch play together?

or '03 backline 9. Kelleher 10. Spencer 11. Rokocoko 12. Carter 13. Muliana 14. Rico Gear 15. Howlett - doubt this group took the field, but they all played those positions over the season.

Whatcha reckon? anyone got some sprint times for these guys...

• pretty sure Bashop retired after the 1995 world cup and was long gone by the time Umaga, Alatini and Ieremia turned up

• S. M. Going
     M. A. Herewini
     A. G. Steel
     I. R. MacRae
     W. L. Davis
     M. J. Dick
     M. Williment

Tony Steel was the three times national 100 yards sprint champion and Bill Davis and Malcolm Dick were sprint stars as well. Let alone Super Sid - NZ's greatest running halfback. I'm going to back these guys over your bulked up new millennium gym bunnies!   🙂

• Pretty sure brad weber would be quicker than Smith at half back.

• Dougie H, Rok, Lomu all had serious speed as did Sivi. Cully covered ground like he had teleported there.
    Sid G would have been great in today's game. Certainly would have held up against AS and Weber.

• Steve Pokere and Stu Wilson were bloody quick in the late seventies - early eighties. Jeff Wilson was quicker than Umaga IMO.

• Jeff Wilson was quicker than Umaga IMO.

I don't know if that's opinion, it's fact. Wilson was a national sprint champion while Umaga wasn't particularly fast for his position.

• Terry Wright seemed untouchable on his kick and chase

• Wayne Gray at the NZ Herald did an all-time fast All Blacks a few months ago. I'd have Doug Howlett at 15 (clocked 10.68 for 100 m one), David Kirk at Half Back and Bert Cooke at second five ahead of Wayne's picks. http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11662543

• I was going to suggest Duggan as the halfback, and Wynne agrees with me.

• Joeli Vidiri needs a mention, Jeff Wilson says he was the fastest AB he ever played with.

• Is sheer out and out pace as important as speed off the mark?

E.g. Grant Batty wasn't all that quick at top speed but his acceleration was phenomenal

• I was going to suggest Duggan as the halfback, and Wynne agrees with me.

Beat me to it. That boy could motor.

• Wayne Gray at the NZ Herald did an all-time fast All Blacks a few months ago. I'd have Doug Howlett at 15 (clocked 10.68 for 100 m one), David Kirk at Half Back and Bert Cooke at second five ahead of Wayne's picks.http://m.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11662543

Would definitely have Flavell and Cribb in there, say what you want about their brain explosions, both of those two had pace.

Mauger at 12 ? Nonu, McCalister, Spencer and Umaga to name a few would be quicker than him.

Can't help but feel that ol' Wynne did this before his morning coffee.

• Dougie H, Rok, Lomu all had serious speed as did Sivi. Cully covered ground like he had teleported there.Sid G would have been great in today's game. Certainly would have held up against AS and Weber.

?  Sid was a very good half-back but had severe limitations that would have been found out.

Specifically his passing - or lack thereof - and his first instinct was always to snipe round the fringes, put in a box kick or turn it back to his pack. 

Playing 2nd 5 to Sid meant getting your hands on the ball maybe half a dozen times/match.

Think a smaller, slower Marshall who wouldn't play on Sundays.

• Would definitely have Flavell and Cribb in there, say what you want about their brain explosions, both of those two had pace.

Geez mate careful, are you sure those players are from the 90s?
    Sooialo was swift as.

• Neemia Tialata was one of the fastest players in the world, but only when he was sprinting to pick a KFC bucket.

• Geez mate careful, are you sure those players are from the 90s?
    Sooialo was swift as.

Look, just cos you saw him in the garden and mistook him for a mate of yours doesn't make him the flash ok ?

• Look, just cos you saw him in the garden and mistook him for a mate of yours doesn't make him the flash ok ?
    Oh. Would it be better if I saw him in Mr Bun?

• Oh. Would it be better if I saw him in Mr Bun?

Yes, but even then it would never be as cool as one of Canes4Life's stories about Ardie "stretch" Savea.