Gaming/VR

• @No-Quarter said in Gaming/VR:

Diablo 1 on Playstation 1 - wasted many hours of my life on that

When I was first going out with Mrs TA, that was our Saturday morning... Which is to say she would sit there and watch while my flatmate and I played it for hours.

The first day was spent loading up, after we figured out how to cheat or way to awesomeness by importing and exporting characters loaded with potions to permanently increase abilities.

• @NTA haha yeah we figured out the elixir cheat, max out all stats. Wasn't nearly as bad as the PC version of the game though, where every man and his dog had all the best gears from the word go through duping... šŸ™‚

• Farpoint (PS4 VR) and the aim controller arrived today.. only played 15mins so far

The game is generic and unimaginative but the controller is great

Playing a 1st person shooter in VR while holding a gun has massive potential. Can lean around corners, aim using the sights on the weapon and even point the gun around a corner and shoot blind

• Thread reboot ... any of you guys seen 'they are billions? An rts where you build up a town to survive zombie attacks. It's only in beta at the mo. But lots of folks streaming it on twitch, it's pretty cool! Oh, and it's got a killer learning curve, makes for fun viewing

• @paekakboyz noted

• Well since this thread has been rebooted I shall share an experience I had last week.

After talking about it for nearly a year I finally made enough mates here to fill out an 8 man team roster to give Zero latency in North Melbourne a visit:

Absolutely freaking awesome. Only a couple of us had gaming backgrounds but all of us loved it and very keen to do it again soon.

You're in a large warehouse wearing a VR mask, headset, backpack and gun complete with motion-sensors but in the came you see digital representations of your team mates and a fantasy world, be it a space craft overtaken with monsters or in some sort of present day fortifications under attack from zombies.

The sensors are pretty good and warn you if you're about to back into a team mate or walk into an actual wall, the world feels much larger than the physical size of the warehouse, they clearly do some clever things to make you walk around in circles in real life to give the illusion of a larger battlefield.

You build up a sweat and my right arm was killing me by the end with the pump action shotgun my weapon of choice..possibly also due to a PT session the previous night. Anyway, highly recommend, in Melbourne and Brisbane as well as a few locations around the world.

• While 'social distancing' I might get into VR gaming again..

Any game recommendations? (PSVR or PC games)

• Boneworks, fookin orsum FTW11!!11!!!L33t

I've also really enjoyed:
    Elite Dangerous
    Subnautica
    Skyrim
    Fallout

as well as the standard VR stuff like superhot and beat sabre. Not played but vinterested in the Darth Vader one that's out

• I got a Quest for Christmas. Absolutely love it. Ive been out of serious gaming since uni so am enthralled to play quake 1/2 and the original halflife which have all been ported over.

• @Machpants said in Gaming/VR:

Boneworks, fookin orsum FTW11!!11!!!L33t

Thanks, I think that is my next purchase

• @Rembrandt said in Gaming/VR:

I got a Quest for Christmas. Absolutely love it. Ive been out of serious gaming since uni so am enthralled to play quake 1/2 and the original halflife which have all been ported over.

Have you used any other VR headsets before? How does it compare? From side by side shots it looks like the textures are similar to PSVR?

Have you used the link cable?

• I've got a HP Windows Mixed Reality Headset sitting in an unopened box. Anyone know if it is it any good or should I throw it out? It was free.

• @Duluth said in Gaming/VR:

@Rembrandt said in Gaming/VR:

I got a Quest for Christmas. Absolutely love it. Ive been out of serious gaming since uni so am enthralled to play quake 1/2 and the original halflife which have all been ported over.

Have you used any other VR headsets before? How does it compare? From side by side shots it looks like the textures are similar to PSVR?

Have you used the link cable?

Just commercial ones like at Zero latency https://zerolatencyvr.com/
    It feels on par with that but that was about 2 years ago that I went. I'm fully aware there is bigger and better out there but the full 6 degrees of freedom and its ability to be standalone more than makes up for it in my mind, plus if I haven't tried the latest and greatest then I don't know what I'm missing out on....with the current economy issues I think the idea of purchasing a gaming rig to try the link cable might be delayed.

• @antipodean

I haven't used that model but the WMR devices are ok (I own a Samsung Odyssey)

I think that particular one is a bit dated and has a poor FOV. The most annoying thing about them is the setup can be fiddly.
    If you have a pc that can drive it, then it's probably worth keeping and trying a few game demos

@antipodean

I haven't used that model but the WMR devices are ok (I own a Samsung Odyssey)

I think that particular one is a bit dated and has a poor FOV. The most annoying thing about them is the setup can be fiddly.
    If you have a pc that can drive it, then it's probably worth keeping and trying a few game demos

Yeah go in with low expectations, but you can still have a bit of fun

• Has anyone purchased Half Life Alyx yet? The reviews have been very positive, are they correct?

Has anyone purchased Half Life Alyx yet? The reviews have been very positive, are they correct?

If I had VR that game would kill me. I'd die of a heart attack ... those drop down things on the original games used to freak the shit out of me even when I knew where they were. I couldn't handle it in VR.

• @Nepia They've actually made it less scary than the originals, for that reason. headcrabs are slower, they always rear up before attack. Zombies are slower. Not played yet, awaiting my Quest link, but read some dev interviews about it

awaiting my Quest link

I'd be interested in hearing how well that works

• @Duluth my USB cable that I got (high spec thing) works great, but it is only 6'/2m - so seated only. Works great for all my VR PC games - Elite D, Subnautica, etc

• @Hooroo said in Gaming/VR:

@Kirwan said in Gaming/VR:

https://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html

Brilliant.

That is awesome!!!!

Scratches that itch in your brain really good right? Each level you progress is hilarious.

Iā€™m about three years late to it, but was a great time waster.

• @Kirwan oh you bastard! I'm hooked ha ha

• My (pre CV lock down ordered) Quest Link arrived today - problem is it is USB C to C, my PC only has A and the PCIe card I ordered has not arrived, unlikely until post CV lockdown. So Half Life Alyx sitting in my steam library unplayed šŸ˜­

First world lockdown problems

• @Paekakboyz I tried to stop playing it three times, then figured what else should I be doing?

• @Kirwan said in Gaming/VR:

@Paekakboyz I tried to stop playing it three times, then figured what else should I be doing?

I'm sending that to a mate who is a freak for algorithms.

@Paekakboyz I tried to stop playing it three times, then figured what else should I be doing?

I have just got off it. Pity you can't save where you were. That was excellent

• @NTA said in Gaming/VR:

I'm sending that to a mate who is a freak for algorithms.

he loves it. Works on Sydney Trains so gets the occasional break to kill time in.

• I bought Day of Infamy, a 10 year old FPS this week. It has no cross hairs so you have to use the actual iron sights on most games ... it's actually bloody hard, but fun.

• @Hooroo said in Gaming/VR:

I have just got off it. Pity you can't save where you were. That was excellent

IT REMEMBERS WHERE YOU WERE!! Magic

Brilliant.

Okay... only heard of this today... I was feeling a little embarassed at how much time I spent on it, until I read something about it, and realised I was still in "Stage 1".
    WTF.

• @Kruse said in Gaming/VR:

Brilliant.

Okay... only heard of this today... I was feeling a little embarassed at how much time I spent on it, until I read something about it, and realised I was still in "Stage 1".
    WTF.

Yeah, me too. I played it for about six hours before I finished it.

My (pre CV lock down ordered) Quest Link arrived today - problem is it is USB C to C, my PC only has A and the PCIe card I ordered has not arrived, unlikely until post CV lockdown. So Half Life Alyx sitting in my steam library unplayed šŸ˜­

First world lockdown problems

I wiped the dust off my old gaming laptop yesterday and installed HL Alyx

First impressions are very good. It was a similar to when I first played Resident Evil on the PSVR... it's another significant leap forward in immersion

The textures are way better than any other VR title I've played. Valve have got this scaling very well too.. 'Ultra High' settings was playable on a moderate machine. I dropped back to 'Very High' to make sure the frame rate stayed smooth enough for VR