2019 Rugby World Cup



  • I'm more astounded England only kicked 6 in 2003



  • Jannie de Beer in 1999. 🙂



  • @mariner4life said in 2019 Rugby World Cup:

    I'm more astounded England only kicked 6 in 2003

    In the knockout stages. Jonny also potted 3 more in pool play. 2 v South Africa, and 1 in a very tight game v Samoa.



  • There have been 6 drop-goals so far in the 2019 world cup (Pool stages).

    1 by Pollard in loss to NZ
    1 by Biggar in Wales win over Australia
    1 by Patchell also in Wales win over Australia
    1 by Camille Lopez in France clutch win over Argentina
    1 by Hogg in win over Samoa
    1 by Yuri Kushnarev (of Russia)

    So, 4 out of the 6 were in clutch games (Knockout-like games) of the pool stages.



  • But of course, none of my analysis includes missed drop-goals.

    That would be interesting, but hard to find.

    Some of the more recent wikipedia scorecards include missed DG attempts if the player also scored via that method.
    E.g.

    • in 2007 quarterfinal - Hernandez potted 1 from 4 attempts in a winning effort v Scotland
    • in 2007 semifinal - Wilkinson also potted 1 from 4 attempts in a winning effort v France

    But you won't find 0 from 1 examples like a Trinh-Duc missed DG in 2011 finals very easily.



  • @Rapido said in 2019 Rugby World Cup:

    But you won't find 0 from 1 examples like a Trinh-Duc missed DG in 2011 finals very easily.

    As part of the acceptance phase of my therapy I will offer up McAllister 0 from 1 in 2007.



  • Zinny is 1/1 in knock-out games. Class.



  • TOKYO, 15 Oct - World Rugby has announced the match officials for the quarter-finals of Rugby World Cup 2019 following a full review of performances over the 37 pool matches.

    Jérôme Garcès (France), Nigel Owens (Wales), Jaco Peyper (South Africa) and Wayne Barnes (England) will take charge of the four matches in Tokyo and Oita over the weekend of 19-20 October.

    In a selection that reflects the officiating team’s blend of experience and younger talent, Garcès will take charge of his second Rugby World Cup quarter-final as England face Australia in Oita on Saturday (16:15 JST) and Owens will take charge of world champions New Zealand versus Ireland at Tokyo Stadium on the same day (19:15 JST).

    Sunday’s matches will see Peyper take charge of his 50th test (and his first quarter-final) with Wales versus France in Oita (16:15), while Barnes, pictured, will round-off the weekend’s action by refereeing hosts Japan against South Africa at Tokyo Stadium (19:15).



  • @antipodean Well that’s a relief.



  • @Tim said in 2019 Rugby World Cup:

    @antipodean Well that’s a relief.

    Agreed - I think he prefers our way of playing too.



  • Owens. Sweet bro as.

    I write that like I’ve been away from NZ too long. Something’s not right.



  • @rotated said in 2019 Rugby World Cup:

    @Rapido said in 2019 Rugby World Cup:

    But you won't find 0 from 1 examples like a Trinh-Duc missed DG in 2011 finals very easily.

    As part of the acceptance phase of my therapy I will offer up McAllister 0 from 1 in 2007.

    Mehrtens 1 from 3 in 1995 final.

    Jannie de Beer 1 from 5 in 1999 semifinal trying to repeat his quarterfinal heroics.



  • What we all want to know is, which game Skeen is involved in.

    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 17.11.03.png



  • @Bovidae is that official? So we have Owens?



  • @canefan Yes, from the WR website.



  • @Bovidae said in 2019 Rugby World Cup:

    What we all want to know is, which game Skeen is involved in.

    Screen Shot 2019-10-15 at 17.11.03.png

    Oh good god.

    Garces, two Frog touchies and Skeenie.

    Heaven help England and Aus.



  • @booboo The phrase "lost in translation" comes to mind.



  • @Rapido said in 2019 Rugby World Cup:

    Here is some general historical analysis, and NZ-focussed analysis of drop-goals in the RWC knockout stages.

    • 78% of all dropgoals taken in the RWC knockout stages have been by the winning team in that match
    • Surprisingly, NZ have actually scored 22% of all dropgoals taken in the RWC knockout stages.
      (I'm not sure if this in an outlier or not? NZ have payed in 34% of all the RWC knockout matches)
    • 88% of NZ's dropgoals have resulted in a winning effort (the only one that didn't was Mehrtens' DG in the 1995 final)
    • Only 2 teams have won a RWC without scoring a DG at some stage during their knockout games. South Africa in 2007 and Australia in 1991. (Quite a surprising stat for SAF in 2007 with Morne Steyn at 10 and the style in vogue during those years)

    Out of 56 knockout matches in history. 23 of these matches have involved (at leasat one) dropgoal. 41% chance of seeing a DG, 59% chance of no DG

    Butch James was the preferred flyhalf in 2007.
    Known for a lot of things, but drop goals definitely wasn't one of them.



  • Really happy to have Owens as the ref. A known quantity and a very experienced ref who won't let things get to him. I'm just stoked when don't have the frog trifecta.



  • @chimoaus said in 2019 Rugby World Cup:

    Really happy to have Owens as the ref. A known quantity and a very experienced ref who won't let things get to him. I'm just stoked when don't have the frog trifecta.

    Don't get too gleeful. Hopefully we put the Irish back in their box but then we seem to be lined up for a Frog in the semis (assuming England win)

    Actually scrap that. England wouldn't get the tricolour twice in a row so maybe Peyper for a semi-final. I reckon Barnes is getting the final as a retirement pressie (if England aren't there)


Log in to reply