Best of RWC

• @canefan said in Best of RWC:

There was no RWC in 2007

Like that weird semi final in 1999. The "game of one half" - All blacks versing France but the All Blacks never showed up for the second half, and France had to play with themselves.

• I was surprised about how much of the 2007 tournament I didn't remember when I reads this. The England v SA games, the AB matches and not much else

I don't think it's because we had a shocker, I don't recall much from 2015 either. The older tournaments are more distinct for some reason

• @Duluth said in Best of RWC:

I was surprised about how much of the 2007 tournament I didn't remember when I reads this. The England v SA games, the AB matches and not much else

Timing perhaps? Middle of the night NZ isn't happy viewing time, usually either staying up drinking, or waking up at odd times

• @nzzp

Timezone wasn't an issue for me.. in 2007 I was living in London. I was lucky enough to attend the QF

Must be years of alcohol abuse

• @Duluth said in Best of RWC:

@nzzp

Timezone wasn't an issue for me.. in 2007 I was living in London. I was lucky enough to attend the QF

Must be years of alcohol abuse

and getting older.

Honestly, I forget so much stuff these days it's frightening.

• @nzzp said in Best of RWC:

and getting older.

I'm sure that's part of it

I'm 40. I think those earlier ones are easier to remember because they all seemed like bigger events. Four years is a huge amount of time when you are kid.. not so much now

• @Duluth sames

• @booboo said in Best of RWC:

@Duluth sames

sames

• I was at uni when we lost in 1995. It felt bad, but if I knew how long it would take for us to win it back that loss would have been even more painful

• @nzzp in 1995 I recall I was away playing Golf for Northland, we (me and 2 other Northland guys) had been billeted at this farmers house, we all got up, he had heated floors, cooked brekkie, it was great, until the end.

Was a pretty somber mood around the course that morning and on the coach trip home, until the beers got flowing and then all anyonne wanted to do was stop for a p!ss.

was at the 1999 game, so remember that all too well, dont recall alot of 1991 or 2007, the most recent wins are still quite clear.

• You guys are old, I watched 95 final at school.

• @booboo Thanks. Another great set of memories stirred.

Because unlike some of you on here - I actually remember most of the 2007 RWC 😜

Must go down as the RWC with the most unexpected results / close games.
    (I will leave you to talk about the upsets in Episode 13 booboo).

But the likes Tonga, Fiji and Georgia certainly found a few extra gears in some of their games which made for unexpectedly good viewing.

On the 2 Bok vs Eng games:

POOL GAME:
    It is worth noting that a certain J. Wilkinson was missing for England from the first game. It is also worth knowing that Jake White had been building up for 4 years for this particular game - and the players well knew it. And Fourie du Preez and Juan Smith had possibly their best games in the green & gold in this particular match.

FINAL:
    As @booboo points out in his article, this was a game about defence. The Boks in particular actually had a fairly long standing game plan of playing without the ball - and then exploiting either the counter-attack, or the attacking team infringement. So it suited them well on the day. Kudos to England though who were miles better in the final than they had been in pool play.

Oh, and one final thing: @ Stu Dickinson: I take back back every horrible thing I ever said about your refereeing prior to this game. I still think you weren't the best ref going around, but you certainly turned out to be the best RWC TMO to date - able to remain calm, insist on getting the TV angles you needed despite the French TV producer's apparent reluctance to give them to you and the very vocal English support in the crowd baying for a try. You ultimately got the call correct. Well done Sir Stu.

Ok, just one more final, final thing: the Bok who made that try-saving tackle on Cueto was none other than Danie Roussouw. He was a selection I unfailingly questioned, not just for this game, but every other prior one. I take it all back. So to Danie I say:

"Jammer Danie. Jy was 'n yster! Jou lekker ding!" (you can google for the translation if you want).

• @Bones said in Best of RWC:

You guys are old, I watched 95 final at school.

In which country? Wasn't it on at 2am? Are you a fancy pants boarding school posh? 😉

How many years did you have to repeat?

• @antipodean said in Best of RWC:

@Bones said in Best of RWC:

How many years did you have to repeat?

alt text

• @Nepia said in Best of RWC:

In which country? Wasn't it on at 2am? Are you a fancy pants boarding school posh? 😉

Yeah I was thinking about how I could just keep adding single words to that sentence to make it worse. Like "boarding", "Catholic", "Hutt", "Upper".

@antipodean ask your wife!

@Nepia said in Best of RWC:

Yeah I was thinking about how I could just keep adding single words to that sentence to make it worse. Like "boarding", "Catholic", "Hutt", "Upper".

@antipodean ask your wife!

Ah, you're only a Catholic boarding school boy, not one of the actual posh ones.

• @Nepia how very dare you. I'll have you know many a day in repeat year was spent driving to said school in an unregistered Holden gemini. If that doesn't spell bogan upper class I don't know what does.

• Disaster day: 9/11.

And episode 13.

All fitting ...

Enjoy... or at least Endure ...

Disaster day: 9/11.

And episode 13.

All fitting ...

Enjoy... or at least Endure ...

No one wants to talk about that game...

It was a weird game to be at. After the match the kiwi fans walked out like it was a funeral (although i did see one drunk idiot karate kick someone in the head from behind)

The French fans were great, the Welsh were pretty good too

Then there was the Irish fluffybunnies. Of course it's unfair to generalise but I don't think I've cheered for them in a single match since.

• Enough of the bitterness and recrimination of 24 years.

1. The Upsets. And we don't feature 🙂

• @booboo Cheers fella, good writeups.

The Tonga Canada game was one of the matches of the tourney for me. Roadie up to Whangarei, great night out, and a physically dominant team beaten by a structured side that did just enough. Okara was full, it was bloody good fun, and a wonderful celebration of rugby.

Also, if Tonga had got up, they would have qualified if they still beat France ....

• Wasn't sure where to mention this but was listening to "The Captain's Cup" podcast on Radio Sport (just on their Week on Demand" page) and was interested in Nick Farr-Jones's admission that the Wallabies were favourites going into the 1987 RWC.

• NFJ also says they were favourites in 1991 as well later in the same podcast.

• Ep 15 is up. Nearly all the best matches from 2011.

• @booboo

that Namibia try was great

NFJ also says they were favourites in 1991 as well later in the same podcast.

1991 definitely favourites.

1987 an interesting one. I didn’t hear NFJ’s interview, but I’m guessing the favourites call was because of the two wins in 86 against us and the win against a good French side.

• @ACT-Crusader said in Best of RWC:

@booboo said in Best of RWC:

NFJ also says they were favourites in 1991 as well later in the same podcast.

1991 definitely favourites.

1987 an interesting one. I didn’t hear NFJ’s interview, but I’m guessing the favourites call was because of the two wins in 86 against us and the win against a good French side.

They were favourites. They lost 2 games between the 1984 Grand Slam and the start of the RWC, both by a single point away to NZ. Very difficult to make the case for anyone else with the tournament at home and with the ABs having just been smashed in Nantes.

• Coming at you thick and fast this week.

The 2011 Final.

Coming at you thick and fast this week.

The 2011 Final.

I’ve never rewatched this game. Did Joubert have a mare or was the world just bitter/jealous? I can’t remember because I was so tense I couldn’t concentrate on the game plus there was a drunk Pom n the bar who just wanted NZ to lose. The Irish bar was basically full of about 30 nervous kiwis and this git.

• @Billy-Tell said in Best of RWC:

The 2011 Final.

I’ve never rewatched this game. Did Joubert have a mare or was the world just bitter/jealous? I can’t remember because I was so tense I couldn’t concentrate on the game plus there was a drunk Pom n the bar who just wanted NZ to lose. The Irish bar was basically full of about 30 nervous kiwis and this git.

The world was bitter/jealous AND Joubert had a mare but we won despite his best efforts.

Joubert's 50/50 decisions favoured France quite significantly. But that doesn't suit the narrative.

@Billy-Tell said in Best of RWC:

The 2011 Final.

The world was bitter/jealous AND Joubert had a mare but we won despite his best efforts.

Joubert's 50/50 decisions favoured France quite significantly. But that doesn't suit the narrative.

So it was like 2007 but we overcame it? I was there and have never watched the game on TV. Too traumatic

• @canefan @Billy-Tell I had a day off work some years ago some time after 2011.

Foxtel had shown a replay and I recorded it so sat down to watch just to see what the bitter trolls were whinging about. That France were robbed and were the better team. Which became accepted "fact". (They actually did have the better of the stats.)

Can't remember the exact numbers but by my "unbiased" count I reckon the dodgy decisions favoured France about 21-9 (or in that order).

Geeked it up and made notes and can c&p (have done so before) - kind of like the low tech TSF of the GAGR dickhead with the arrows and monotone conspiracy theories from a few years ago.

Will see if I can find it ...

• @booboo I think I read it. Was compelling. The gin swillers will do anything to stop us from winning

Most of the bleating was the standard fare for a NH vs SH fixture refereed by a SH referee. Joubert was consistent in his rulings and just because the ABs gave up the bulk of possession in the last 20 doesn't mean the French were owed anything.

The most obvious missed penalty in the last 20 was the headbutt and eye gouge on McCaw by Rougerie.

• @rotated said in Best of RWC:

Most of the bleating was the standard fare for a NH vs SH fixture refereed by a SH referee. Joubert was consistent in his rulings and just because the ABs gave up the bulk of possession in the last 20 doesn't mean the French were owed anything.

The most obvious missed penalty in the last 20 was the headbutt and eye gouge on McCaw by Rougerie.

I'm not sure if I remember it properly or this is a manufactured memory but wasn't there a ruck (France possession) toward the end where Kaino reached over and picked up the ball, looked at Joubert who told him to let go and he placed it back down? IIRC he actually lifted the ball off the ground. That one would have pissed me off if I was French. But I'm not, so tough shit.

• @Crucial said in Best of RWC:

@rotated said in Best of RWC:

I'm not sure if I remember it properly or this is a manufactured memory but wasn't there a ruck (France possession) toward the end where Kaino reached over and picked up the ball, looked at Joubert who told him to let go and he placed it back down? IIRC he actually lifted the ball off the ground. That one would have pissed me off if I was French. But I'm not, so tough shit.

Close but no cigar.

Joubert said it was fine and play on.

Kaino let go because Ellis told him to because he thought it might incur a penalty.

Optics suggested your interpretation.

@Crucial said in Best of RWC:

Close but no cigar.

Kaino let go because Ellis told him to because he thought it might incur a penalty.

Shear fucking terror suggested my interpretation!

• @Crucial said in Best of RWC:

@Crucial said in Best of RWC:

Close but no cigar.

Shear fucking terror suggested my interpretation!

Time to roll this out, sorry I can't find the longer original version. Still makes me get misty, and makes my knuckles go white!!!

• @Billy-Tell hah that reminds me of being in a bar in the middle of buttfuck Derbyshire for the last RWC and the game against France, with a table of posh gits next to us wanting the ABs to lose. The bitter tears were tasty.