Tasman v Counties Manukau



  • Chris B. said:

    @sammyc I think he might start out on Seta's wing?

    If I were David, I'd be pretty keen to hold onto that fullback slot, because he's a bit small for a Super rugby midfielder.

    I think he'll struggle to deny Jordan, though. "Bigger, stronger, faster"! Still plenty of work- ons for Jordan in terms of accuracy, but he's an exciting prospect!

    Surely there isn't a huge difference in size between Havili and Ryan Crotty?

    Tim Bateman is even more of a shrimp and he did pretty well at 12 for us last year.



  • What are Israel Dagg's chances of making a comeback? Seems to me like he should have signed overseas after the last World Cup.



  • Canes4life said:

    What are Israel Dagg's chances of making a comeback? Seems to me like he should have signed overseas after the last World Cup.

    He basically became our number 1 right wing before injury after the RWC - although I'd assume his injury has pushed him quite far out of the reckoning. But TBF we do move BFA to 14 so if he has a good Super campaign with the evil empire he could push himself back into the reckoning.



  • SammyC said:

    Chris B. said:

    @sammyc I think he might start out on Seta's wing?

    If I were David, I'd be pretty keen to hold onto that fullback slot, because he's a bit small for a Super rugby midfielder.

    I think he'll struggle to deny Jordan, though. "Bigger, stronger, faster"! Still plenty of work- ons for Jordan in terms of accuracy, but he's an exciting prospect!

    Surely there isn't a huge difference in size between Havili and Ryan Crotty?

    Tim Bateman is even more of a shrimp and he did pretty well at 12 for us last year.

    David's pretty consistently listed at 88kgs on the internet. Even smaller than Bateman. Crotty is listed variously at 91kg and 96kg.

    I'd guess he's more likely the latter. Saw him running on the sidelines with SBW at Traf. Park and he's quite a solid unit - though by no means a big midfielder.

    David marking up against people like Nonu and SBW is giving away 20kgs.



  • @chris-b There's no way he's only 88kg, he's Tongan FFS! 😉



  • Chris B. said:

    SammyC said:

    Chris B. said:

    @sammyc I think he might start out on Seta's wing?

    If I were David, I'd be pretty keen to hold onto that fullback slot, because he's a bit small for a Super rugby midfielder.

    I think he'll struggle to deny Jordan, though. "Bigger, stronger, faster"! Still plenty of work- ons for Jordan in terms of accuracy, but he's an exciting prospect!

    Surely there isn't a huge difference in size between Havili and Ryan Crotty?

    Tim Bateman is even more of a shrimp and he did pretty well at 12 for us last year.

    David's pretty consistently listed at 88kgs on the internet. Even smaller than Bateman. Crotty is listed variously at 91kg and 96kg.

    I'd guess he's more likely the latter. Saw him running on the sidelines with SBW at Traf. Park and he's quite a solid unit - though by no means a big midfielder.

    David marking up against people like Nonu and SBW is giving away 20kgs.

    Havili's Crusaders & Tasman profile: 95kg / 1.84m
    Crotty's Crusaders profile: 96kg / 1.81m - All Blacks profile: 94kg / 1.81m
    Tim Bateman's Crusaders profile: 91kg / 1.82m



  • @nepia Wouldn't surprise me.

    Saw him on Sunday and he's not big.

    But he is compared to his brother Willy, who is presumably also Tongan and looked like a skinny kid.

    Incidentally, you say "only" like a BMI disbeliever. Tane Norton played many tests for the ABs as an 88kg hooker! 🙂

    🍩



  • @stargazer Having seen them both live recently, I reckon Crotty is at least 5kgs heavier than Havili - he's 88kgs in his ABs profile.



  • @chris-b That ABs profile is old. Havili's Crusaders profile from 2016 also had him at 88, but they changed that to 95kg at the end of that year. Considering his age, I find it entirely credible that a beginning SR player gains that amount of weight in the early years of his career.



  • @stargazer It's all guesswork, but my reaction to seeing Crotty up close was that he's quite big and seeing David up close is that he isn't.


Log in to reply