2016 World Sevens Series

• This weekend, the women are playing their second round of the series in São Paulo.

NZL pool games on Sun 21/2 (NZT):

3:50am: v USA
    6.34am: v Spain
    8:56am: v Russia

After the 1st round, NZL is 5th in the standings. That round didn't go well because of the many injuries.
    This weekend, the best players will be back. It will be interesting to see how they go.

Team:
    Michaela Blyde (Taranaki)
    Kelly Brazier (Bay of Plenty)
    Gayle Broughton (Taranaki) 
    Sarah Goss (captain) (Manawatu)
    Kayla McAlister (Auckland)
    Huriana Manuel (Auckland)
    Tyla Nathan-Wong (Auckland)
    Hazel Tubic (Counties Manukau)
    Ruby Tui (Canterbury)
    Kat Whata-Simpkins (Wellington)
    Niall Williams (Auckland)
    Portia Woodman (Counties Manukau)

Honey Hireme (Waikato) and Stacey Waaka (Waikato) are with the team as reserves.

Not available due to injury – Carla Hohepa, Lesley Ketu, Shiray Tane, Jordon Webber.

Apart from the first game, I'll watch the games online via the official World Rugby Livestream on YouTube (with help of a geo-unblocker):

[media]

• Great first day for NZ! The team beat the USA 35-5, Spain 46-0 and Russia 40-10.

I only watched the last game and they look very, very fit. Combinations worked well, good defence, great speed and goal kicking was spot on.

Looking at the scores, Australia and France won all three of their games and are topping their pools as well.

NZ will play Brazil in the Cup Quarter Finals at 3.22am Sunday morning (NZT).

• Aussies had to come from behind against Canada (held them scoreless in the second half) but had great finishing all day, outscoring the opposition 38-10 in the second half.

Hopefully they can repeat the dose tonight.

• Great first day for NZ! The team beat the USA 35-5, Spain 46-0 and Russia 40-10.

NZ lost to Russia in an earlier sevens tournament so that's an improvement.

• Couple of injuries i heard somewhere.
    Woodman and somone (Hireme?)

• Highlights NZ day 1:

[media]

WorldRugby highlights day 1:

[media]

Wasn't Hireme. But still didn't register the name. Kayla someone but not McAlister.

Michaela Blyde and Portia Woodman. Woodman will be a huge loss.

Strong start for Kiwi women's sevens

• After crushing Brasil 41-0 in the QF, New Zealand have just been beaten by a very strong looking Canada in the SF. All damage was done after Kayla McAlister was off (temporarily) with what looked like an injury and before Portia Woodman came on.
    Canada looked very strong, both in attack and defence. Deserved winners, although with a bit of help from the ref.

FT: 19-10 to Canada

New Zealand will play the USA for 3rd place at 10.16am.
    After that, the final between Australia and Canda.

Livestream is here:

[media]

• New Zealand become third after beating the USA again. Final score: 28-0.

At the end of the second half, the rain started pouring down. May affect the final.

• Canada were pretty slick I thought. Competed well at the collisions and had some good individual play.
    Not sure if they can beat the Aussie team, but the conditions could level things out.

• Australia deserved champions, winning the final 29-0.
    It was a messy game, spoilt by the rain; the Aussies clearly handled the conditions better than the women in red.

Ella Green is a great player.

• Well done the ladies. Showing the men how its done.

• New Zealand's men's 7s squad for USA Sevens, (4-6 March) in Las Vegas and Canada Sevens (12-13 March) in Vancouver:

Kurt Baker (Taranaki)
    Dylan Collier (Waikato)
    Sam Dickson (Canterbury)
    DJ Forbes (Counties Manukau)
    Gillies Kaka (Hawke’s Bay)
    Josh Van Lieshout (Counties Manukau)
    Liam Messam (Waikato)
    Tim Mikkelson (Captain) (Waikato)
    Sione Molia (Counties Manukau)
    Lewis Ormond (Taranaki)
    Sherwin Stowers (Counties Manukau)
    Beaudein Waaka (Taranaki)
    Regan Ware (Waikato)
    Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau)

Players not available because of injury: Scott Curry, Declan O’Donnell, Isaac Te Tamaki, Joe Webber.

Players unavailable due to Investec Super Rugby commitments; Akira Ioane, Rieko Ioane, Ben Lam, Ardie Savea.

http://www.allblacks.com/News/28809/stars-return-for-all-blacks-sevens

• Some experience returns in Forbes and Stowers, but a couple of newbies too.  I'm interested to see how Messam goes.  Probably only about half of this team goes to Rio.

• Vancouver 7s is a sell out for it's debut tournament. Awesome.

• NZ squad named for Vegas.

SBW rested - seems a bit strange. Would much rather Collier was 'rested'.

Interested to see how the  two young Counties boys go.

ALL BLACKS SEVENS
    Tim Mikkelson (capt), Kurt Baker, Dylan Collier, Sam Dickson, DJ Forbes, Gillies Kaka, Josh Van Lieshout, Liam Messam, Sione Molia, Lewis Ormond, Beaudein Waaka, Regan Ware.

• A nice win against Portugal 42-7.try scorers were Lewis ormond 2,dj Forbes,ware,baker and Dickson and all converted by waaka
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Samoa beat Fiji 28-24!

• Nz beat Russia 38-0 mikkelson 2,baker 2,ware and Dickson got the try's
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk