Magpies - 2019 Mitre 10 Cup

• With Ben May being the benchmark Jody Allen might be in with a chance of making the Mitre10 Cup squad. He might have trimmed down a bit since the last time he appeared for the Bay.

• @Higgins IRC, Allen is still many levels below May.

• Oh ok, so he has got no show of making it then. From memory he seemed to be quite tall, kind of like Jeff To'omaga-Allen. Come to think of it they might be related with names like that?

• @Higgins That's what I'm hoping ... but if they want experience ...

• You can't get experience if you have not been playing. All you can get is more real hard physical toughness as you get older but if his technique/propping ability was not that good to start with you don't have a lot of things waving in your favour. Has he been playing oveseas in one of those non descript semi-professional leagues they have in places like Spain and Russia and French Div 2 or 3 and places like that?

• Caleb Makene’s back too? Did we discuss this and I forgot?

We could have a strong backline this year!

• Bound to have. We are lucky to have Stargazer never missing anything like comings and goings of players here there and everywhere, especially those concerning the Magpies.

• @Higgins Yep, Spain.

From that HBT article that I quoted:

Allen, 31, played the last of his 10 first class games for the Magpies in 2013. The former North Harbour rep recently returned to the Bay after playing in Spain and had his first starting XV appearance for Taradale Rugby and Sports against Napier Pirate Rugby and Sports at the weekend after an appearance as a substitute the previous weekend.

I remember that he left Hawke's Bay to play for North Harbour, hoping to get a starting spot there. It didn't work out as he'd hoped. Then he played for VRAC (Valladolid) in Spain, the same team where Chris Eaton played last year. Apparently, he has now returned and hopes to get another shot at the Magpies.

• I am guessing that the standard he played in Spain will be somewhere between Mitre10 Cup B Teams and Heartland Championship level than. Still if you are getting paid to play then the level of play doesn't really matter.

• Retallick said he has also re-signed with Hawke’s Bay Rugby.

“Even though I haven’t played for the ‘Mighty Magpies’ for a few years, I do want to acknowledge my connections to Hawke’s Bay and thank them as well for their support.”

Geez, couldn't he slot in a game or two, in his extended break. C'mon Brodie, you know you want to ..

• @Stargazer said in Magpies - 2019 Mitre 10 Cup:

Retallick said he has also re-signed with Hawke’s Bay Rugby.

“Even though I haven’t played for the ‘Mighty Magpies’ for a few years, I do want to acknowledge my connections to Hawke’s Bay and thank them as well for their support.”

Geez, couldn't he slot in a game or two, in his extended break. C'mon Brodie, you know you want to ..

If he does let me know he has my 3MVP points for any games he can slot in for during the break. I will also continue to vote for him 3MVP points for any ABs games he doesn't play.