Fourth XV

• Been playing a game upside ma head.

What if we're left with the 4th choice in each position come AB selection time?

ie the top three choices in each postion are injured.

Inspired by the magnificence of having to select Beaver but having to do so in all postions come first test v Lions.

What would we look like?

Have played with the rules inside my head such that you're allowed to pick players in more than one position, ie, Israel Dagg can be 2nd choice fullback AND first choice right wing. And 6s and 8s are also in line for multiple positions.

And midfield... i.e., ALB can be in the top 3 12s and top 3 13s.but have tried to pick midfielders 7 and 8.

Similarlt have tried to pick at lock choices 7 and 8.

Am also assuming injured players are available.

So your fourth XV would be?

Mine as follows ... might (!!) have missed a few ... have Shiraz induced memory issues ... :

1. Hames
    2. Elliott
    3. Tu'ungafasi
    4. Fatialofa
    5. GCT
    6. Luatua
    7. Gibson
    8. Ioane
    9. Pulu
    10. MacKenzie
    11. Moala
    12. Laumape
    13. Proctor
    14. Duffie
    15. Barrett

• Hah, so our 4th XV is the blues with a couple of other franchise combos and a couple of stragglers 😁

• @Bones said in Fourth XV:

Hah, so our 4th XV is the blues with a couple of other franchise combos and a couple of stragglers 😁

Actually when you put it like that that's probably not surprising ...

• In fairness the Blues with Mackenzie at 10 would have beaten the Canes on the weekend (and probably a couple of other kiwi derbies this season).

• @Bones said in Fourth XV:

Hah, so our 4th XV is the blues with a couple of other franchise combos and a couple of stragglers 😁

Can we separate them based on height and weight? I for one would find that a lot easier.

• @booboo Wouldn't Hames be the 3rd choice LH behind Moody and Crockett based on selection last year? Manu or Goodes are probably in the 4th spot.

Lowe must be good enough to make our 4th XV.

• @MN5 what about a brothers 15? We would have the ALBs, the surveyors, the Ioanes, the Barretts, the Whitelocks. That's 11 off the top of my head. Who am I forgetting?

• Franks and Pryors.

• @Crazy-Horse said in Fourth XV:

@MN5 what about a brothers 15? We would have the ALBs, the surveyors, the Ioanes, the Barretts, the Whitelocks. That's 11 off the top of my head. Who am I forgetting?

Conrad and his little brothers Ben and Aaron

• @Tim I was thinking NZbased so that would rule out the Franks. But Pryors fir sure.

Sopoagas...

• The McKenzies.

• Goodhues

• Faianes

• I reckon a brothers team would be pretty bloody strong. Struggling a bit at hooker, half back and prop though.

• Ofa and Isi Tu'ungafasi

Isi is only a fringe NPC player though

• @Duluth DLB could be a prop with ALB in midfield.

• @Crazy-Horse said in Fourth XV:

@MN5 what about a brothers 15?

Classic thread hijack, nice work. 🎖

• @Snowy I was thinking the same thing. Considered giving myself a pat on the back.

• Not a fan of your re-using players, booboo - though I might make a few slight tactical selections such as not selecting Dagg in the 1st XV, because he's really our 2nd best fullback.

I don't agree with DMac ahead of Mo'unga in your team, but in any case, he makes my third XV at fullback - fractionally ahead of Jordie Barrett.

No injuries...might have a wing or two playing on the wrong side...

Moody
    Crockett
    Hames
    Manu

Coles
    Taylor
    Harris
    Coltman

Franks
    Faumuina
    Laulala
    Tu'ungafasi

Retallick
    Romano
    Tuipolotu
    Franklin

Whitelock
    Barrett
    Bird
    Fatialofa

Kaino
    Messam
    Dixon
    Taufua

Cane
    Todd
    Savea
    Christie

Read
    Squire
    Luatua
    L. Whitelock

Smith
    Perenara
    TKB
    Pulu

Barrett
    Cruden
    Sopoaga
    Mo'unga

Crotty
    ALB
    Ngatai
    Moala

SBW
    Fekitoa
    Tamanivalu
    Proctor

Savea
    Nanai
    Lowe
    Li

NMS
    Naholo
    R. Ioane
    T. Pulu

Smith
    Dagg
    McKenzie
    Barrett

• @Chris-B.

Typo in your props? Fatialofa should be Faumuina

• @Duluth Yes - definitely! 🙂

• @Chris-B. I don't think Toni Pulu is eligible for the ABs as he played sevens for Niue.

Perhaps Duffie gets back in?

• @Chris-B. Although I don't agree with all your selections (or the order of them), the most important change that I would make (apart from replacing Toni Pulu with Aso) is including Buckman, probably instead of Ngatai, who has been away from rugby for too long, sadly.

I'd probably also pick Goodes ahead of Manu (just asking, hasn't Manu played for Samoa?), although he'd maybe be my no. 3 and Hames no.4.

Also, if we're talking about healthy players, I'd select Brad Weber ahead of A Pulu.

Li wouldn't make my team. Although he hasn't convinced me completely yet, Duffie looks better than Li. Geez, I'd even pick Mataele ahead of Li.

• I'd have Brad Weber ahead of A. Pulu (as did the Chiefs).

A whole bunch ahead of Tevita Li - Matt Duffie certainly. Also Ben Lam, Corey Jane.

I don't think George Moala is test level at centre due to his error rate, so I'd move him ahead of T. Pulu on the wing and move in someone like Laumape.

• @Stargazer Manu got himself a RWC winners medal as an injury replacement so that's a negative.

• @Stargazer Actually, I was thinking to perhaps replace Pulu with Buckman - although I like Buckman more in the midfield.

I haven't necessarily picked my favourites - but, more leaned towards how I think Hansen etc see things. So those like e.g. Hames and Manu who've been previously been picked for the ABs have stayed there at the expense of people like Goodes - though, in all honesty, I've never really noticed Goodes dominating scrums (which I've certainly seen from Hames and Manu) or being a huge force around the field.

I'm not keen on Tevita Li, but I was mainly struggling to think of other credible left wings. Does Duffie play on the left? Aso? Pretty sure Cory Jane is a right wing.

Not Ben Lam for me Chester. 🙂