World & NZ Rugby Awards 2018



  • Early days, but I just found this document on the WR website.

    The word 'potential' in the title seems to suggest this is not yet an official list of nominees for WR Breakthrough Player of the Year, but there seems to be a good chance that Karl Tu'inukuafe and Jack Goodhue will be nominated. Dyantyi is another good candidate; I don't know the Italian player as I haven't seen Italy play this year. I guess we'll get a chance to see him play in the ABs v Italy test on 25 November.



  • @stargazer And Shannon Frizell - though that they haven't spelled his name properly doesn't bode well for him!

    Write them a letter @Bones (s)! 🙂



  • Hadleigh Parkes, really?



  • @Chris B. said:

    @stargazer And Shannon Frizell - though that they haven't spelled his name properly doesn't bode well for him!

    Write them a letter @Bones (s)! 🙂

    I'd have to defer to missing fern mate disgusted of Tunbridge Wells for that one.



  • Does the timing window rule out the Irish guys Stockdale and Ryan? Does it also rule out Taniela Tupou?

    Of that list I'd shortlist it to:
    Tuinukuafe
    Dyantyi
    Goodhue
    Snyman

    I haven't seen the NH nominees in that list, nor Matavao, so no opinions.

    But the 4 above are really quite a good crop.

    I actually did see some of JAKE POLLEDRI in the latest highlights package of English Prem, he was awesome for Gloucester.



  • This bit doesn't really compute:

    JORDAN LARMOUR (IRE) – MEN’S
    • Age: 21
    • Position: Winger
    • Test debut: 10 February, 2018 v Italy
    • Tests: 6
    • Tries: 0

    • All six appearances have been off the bench
    • Six Nations Grand Slam winner in 2018

    Are the nominees based on international rugby only? or all rugby?



  • Stockcar86 said:

    Hadleigh Parkes, really?

    Have you watched him play for Scarlets? Or did you just think back to his NZ days and assume that’s where he is still at?



  • I'm sure he's improved a lot.

    NZ rugby, rightly, gets accused of arrogance a lot. However, the fact that Parkes, a super rugby journeyman at absolute best, is now playing for Wales and up for an international award, doesn't really add weight to the argument that the arrogance is without merit.



  • @majorrage I think an NPC journeyman would be more apt for him!

    Good on him though, found his niche.



  • Rapido said:

    This bit doesn't really compute:

    JORDAN LARMOUR (IRE) – MEN’S
    • Age: 21
    • Position: Winger
    • Test debut: 10 February, 2018 v Italy
    • Tests: 6
    • Tries: 0

    • All six appearances have been off the bench
    • Six Nations Grand Slam winner in 2018

    Are the nominees based on international rugby only? or all rugby?

    Odd. I’d put James Ryan, Jacob Stockdale or Andrew Porter in there instead. The Nov internationals never seem to be included in these award ceremonies, only the June ones.



  • Derm McCrum said:

    Rapido said:

    This bit doesn't really compute:

    JORDAN LARMOUR (IRE) – MEN’S
    • Age: 21
    • Position: Winger
    • Test debut: 10 February, 2018 v Italy
    • Tests: 6
    • Tries: 0

    • All six appearances have been off the bench
    • Six Nations Grand Slam winner in 2018

    Are the nominees based on international rugby only? or all rugby?

    Odd. I’d put James Ryan, Jacob Stockdale or Andrew Porter in there instead. The Nov internationals never seem to be included in these award ceremonies, only the June ones.

    Aren’t they included, but from the previous year - which fits the NH season?



  • I guess Larmour must have torn it up in European Cup rugby?

    Which 6 nations did Stockdale score each game? This year? But then qualification may be ruled out by when he debuted?

    Tupou, played last November tour, so does that rule him out?

    I guess I could look it up ....



  • Big Karl T for me, to go from a life threatening weight condition to the All Blacks and probably one of the best international front rowers at the moment is pretty special



  • South Africa's Aphiwe Dyantyi, Ireland's Jordan Larmour and New Zealand's Karl Tu'inukuafe have been shortlisted for the World Rugby Breakthrough Player of the Year 2018.

    https://www.world.rugby/news/374327



  • The nominees for the World Rugby Women’s Sevens Player of the Year 2018 in association with HSBC are: Michaela Blyde (New Zealand), Sarah Goss (New Zealand) and Portia Woodman (New Zealand).

    The nominees for the World Rugby Men’s Sevens Player of the Year 2018 in association with HSBC are: Perry Baker (USA), Ben O’Donnell (Australia) and Jerry Tuwai (Fiji).

    https://www.world.rugby/news/373932



  • @stargazer said in World, NZ & other Rugby Awards 2018:

    The nominees for the World Rugby Women’s Sevens Player of the Year 2018 in association with HSBC are: Michaela Blyde (New Zealand), Sarah Goss (New Zealand) and Portia Woodman (New Zealand).

    The nominees for the World Rugby Men’s Sevens Player of the Year 2018 in association with HSBC are: Perry Baker (USA), Ben O’Donnell (Australia) and Jerry Tuwai (Fiji).

    https://www.world.rugby/news/373932

    Good result for the girls.



  • Try of the 2018 nominations:

    Sean Maitland, Scotland against England.
    CJ Standler, Ireland against England.
    Brodie Retallick, ABs against Australia
    Beauden Barrett, ABs against Australia

    https://www.world.rugby/news/374636



  • @sparky said in World, NZ & other Rugby Awards 2018:

    Try of the 2018 nominations:

    Sean Maitland, Scotland against England.
    CJ Standler, Ireland against England.
    Brodie Retallick, ABs against Australia
    Beauden Barrett, ABs against Australia

    https://www.world.rugby/news/374636

    The CJ Stander try seems overrated. The other three are good.



  • Maitland I reckon. There were 2 classy and ballsy passes in there from Finn Russell. Only Retallick's try provides competition.



  • I can't watch yet (at work) but I assume the Maitland try is the one with the Fin Russell pass?

    Hell yeah, that was great.


Log in to reply