Crusaders v Chiefs

• I see Chiefs are equal favs with Canes.  I think that is mad given we look weaker rather than stronger than last season. Talk about the Rennie factor.

I think the best value for money this season is the Blues at $15. Remarkable! I have a feeling that Tana is going to be a bit special for them.It's a little weird that I am hoping for tehm to do well. They will be my second team this season.

• post does not tie to title?

• Third word does...

I was going to start a thread about Super Rugby but thought a waste of time and saw the Crusaders/Cheifs thread hadn't been started.

I'll get it back on track.

Live on SS1 Saturday night at 1935hrs, New Zealand's all conquering Crusaders take on the might of the Waikato. Be there or be NOWHERE!!!!!

• Waikato? Fuck right off.

• When are the teams named?
    Ah that never gets old. Made me laugh anyway.

• Live on SS1 Saturday night at 1935hrs, New Zealand's all conquering Crusaders take on the might of the Waikato. Be there or be NOWHERE!!!!!

I'll be there, 14th Season in a row as a season ticket holder.

I'm not expecting a whole lot from the crusaders this year, but reckon we could pinch this one. We will be hurting after the 74-7 humiliation last week.

Also, did I hear correctly the the new AB captain is coming back early and expected to play?

Will be an interesting year for the chiefs, Messum and SBW gone, First choice tighthead and starting lock also out.. plus no Wayne Smith. If Rennie manages a successful season then maybe I'll change my opinion of him  :fishing:

• If Rennie manages a successful season then maybe I'll change my opinion of him  :fishing:

Same here.

I truly have no idea about this match and I won't be surprised if either side wins but even in a preseason, you don't ship 74 points unless you have your 3 string team out there.

• I'm honestly struggling to see why the Chiefs are rated so highly still. Maybe if Bird and Laulala were fit, and we had Messam and SBW running about. 

But this current mob? Our best players stick out like dog's balls. We're going to be relying on a couple of break-out seasons (like the Highlanders last year i guess).

• I agree.

I've tipped Chiefs in KP's comp and NZherald comp (Thanks or the reminder, Paj) but the more I look at the leikely teams the more I realise that the Chiefs will be lucky to get the silver this weekend

• The reason the Chiefs are highly rated is simple - their halves and head coach.

Their halves are class and it's proven you can with with class halves while lacking in other areas but not visca versca. Also their coach has a record of 4 seasons for 2 titles and 2 other finals appearances. The two other final appearances occuring in years where they had injuries to their halves - whereas I believe Cruden played every game of the 2 title winning seasons.

• I like that theory!

I have just don $10 on the Blues to win the comp darn it!

• The reason the Chiefs are highly rated is simple - their halves and head coach.

Their halves are class and it's proven you can with with class halves while lacking in other areas but not visca versca. Also their coach has a record of 4 seasons for 2 titles and 2 other finals appearances. The two other final appearances occuring in years where they had injuries to their halves - whereas I believe Cruden played every game of the 2 title winning seasons.

Correct. Having the best first five in the comp goes a long way.

And while they don't have a plethora of All Blacks, they've still got some of the best young talent in the comp.

• The Gallagher Chiefs team to play the BNZ Crusaders is:

1. Pauliasi Manu
    2. Rhys Marshall
    3. Hiroshi Yamashita
    4. Michael Allardice
    5. Brodie Retallick
    6. Taleni Seu
    7. Sam Cane (C)
    8. Tom Sanders
    9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
    10. Aaron Cruden (C)
    11. James Lowe
    12. Charlie Ngatai
    13. Seta Tamanivalu
    14. Shaun Stevenson
    15. Damian McKenzie

Reserves:
    16. Nathan Harris
    17. Mitchell Graham
    18. Siate Tokolahi
    19. Maama Vaipulu
    20. Johan Bardoul
    21. Brad Weber
    22. Anton Lienert-Brown
    23. Latu Vaeno

Not considered for selection:
      Nepo Laulala, Mitchell Karpik, Andrew Horrell, Hika Elliot, Toni Pulu, Augustine Pulu, Dominic Bird, Sam McNicol and Glen Fisiiahi.

Yikes!  Marshall at hooker.  I'll call it now and say the Chiefs' lineout will be poor.  Last man standing on the right wing.  The Chiefs team could be so much stronger.

• It's funny isn't it. Both these teams have been battling it out to be top of the NZ teams for a few years now but both got upstaged by the Highlanders and Hurricanes last year. Now they have both lost a whole lot of experience and quality.
    I can see this one being a hell of a battle again with two somewhat different styles going at it.
    Good to see Cruden back after a long lay off.

• Interesting to see Yamashita thrown straight in at the deep end.

Not a great Chiefs team, especially in the front row, but I think it should still be way too much for a Saders team who always start the season at a snails pace and are lacking Richie, DC, Slade, Taylor and the all important Luke Whitelock.

Edit: Oh and very interested to see how Sanders, Seu, Stephenson and Tamanivalu go. Hope they step up.

• Crusaders line-up for Saturday:

1. Joe Moody  2. Codie Taylor  3.Owen Franks  4. Scott Barrett  5.Samuel Whitelock (c)  6. Jordan Taufua  7. Tim Boys  8. Kieran Read
    2. Andy Ellis  10. Richie Mo’unga  11. Nemani Nadolo  12. Kieron Fonotia  13. Sean Wainui  14. Jone Macilai  15. David Havili

Reserves :
    3. Ben Funnell  17. Wyatt Crockett  18. Mike Alaalatoa  19. Jimmy Tupou  20. Reed Prinsep  21. Leon Fukofuka  22. Ben Volavola  23. Johnny McNicholl

• Crusaders line-up for Saturday:

1. Joe Moody  2. Codie Taylor  3.Owen Franks  4. Scott Barrett  5.Samuel Whitelock (c)  6. Jordan Taufua  7. Tim Boys  8. Kieran Read
    2. Andy Ellis  10. Richie Mo’unga  11. Nemani Nadolo  12. Kieron Fonotia  13. Sean Wainui  14. Jone Macilai  15. David Havili

Reserves :
    3. Ben Funnell  17. Wyatt Crockett  18. Mike Alaalatoa  19. Jimmy Tupou  20. Reed Prinsep  21. Leon Fukofuka  22. Ben Volavola  23. Johnny McNicholl

Toddy blew his chance to install Taufua at 7 and Tupou at 6. I

WTF has happened to the skinny white boys backline?

• While there are plenty of questions on first-five on out for the Crusaders, that is a pretty tidy outfit jerseys 1 to 9, 5 current ABs and 1 former AB.

• Exciting team, very happy with the 2 Fijians on the wings

• Toddy blew his chance to install Taufua at 7 and Tupou at 6. I

WTF has happened to the skinny white boys backline?

Tupou's a better impact player off the bench in my view.